skimmer discussion

kingfish

to the advanced reefers

I see so many skimmers that range in price from a couple hundred to a couple of grand. My question is what the best skimmer for the buck? I would like some facts if possible. I have a 90 gallon and I plan on upgrading to a 180 gallon tank.

Here is my order of importance.

1. Cost and best value

2. Quality and maufature rep and warrenty

3. Skimmer Efficency

4. Power usage How may watts does it take to operate ?

5. ease of use

6. Size

I didn't get a skimmer for tropical lagoon. my name is rommel.

Rommel,

Go with a Deltec or a Grey Seas Aquatics. I personally have a Deltec so I can attest to how awesome it is. I have also heard great things about the Grey Seas from those that own them.

One piece of advice.....don't skimp on the skimmer. I went from an ASM, to a Euro-reef, to a Deltec. Now I wish I would have just started with the Deltec.

good luck.

Go for the deltec. BRK Can get them and help with the plumbing.

David

Grey Seas Aquatics is modeled off of Deltecs, and is produced by a fellow WAMASer (Dan, dandy7200). I hear the price is better (we're going to a 90 gallon and I need to start saving my pennies regardless) and I hear you can't beat the customer service from Dan.

There's a Q and A thread in the General Discussion forum and I'm sure if you PM him, he'll be happy to answer any questions...

I definately agree with Steve about making sure you don't skimp on a skimmer.

:cheers:

--Mike

I love my Octopus, I would be amazed if you could beat it for the price and a little DIY. Don't know if you are wanting in sump or recirc.

Check the lighting and filtration forum on RC - you can spend weeks going through all the threads that start just like yours.

jp

im another dan supporter and have used his customer support more than anyone on wamas. he has helped me and my system. if you need installation help deltec doesnt make house calls and im sure you can use that 400 dollars youll save and get some corals for the larger system. the stuff that the standard 8 pulls out produces an ungodly smell and your corals will thank you

im another dan supporter and have used his customer support more than anyone on wamas. he has helped me and my system. if you need installation help deltec doesnt make house calls and im sure you can use that 400 dollars youll save and get some corals for the larger system. the stuff that the standard 8 pulls out produces an ungodly smell and your corals will thank you

Thanks again everyone

Rommel,

I just want to chime in and add my two cents. People in this group who praises Dan does it not because he's a WAMAS member but because he truly is a stand up guy who:

1. Extremely knowledgeable

2. Built top notched products

3. Provide excellent support

4. Won't jerk you around

I have a 30 gal size tank with a 20 gal sump. When I asked Dan about the possibility of buying a skimmer from him, he could have sold it to me because it would be money in his pocket. Instead, he pointed me to the Tunze nano skimmer model because he felt his would be more than an overkill for my little set up. I don't know of any other vendors who would do that.

James

I'm another happy Grey Seas customer. I know absolutely zero (and I think that's in degrees Kelvin) about skimmers. Water goes in, bubbles go in, water comes out a tube, bubbles come out the top. Gunk stays in the little cup. Dan has been very patient with my questions, like "Is that stuff supposed to smell that horrible - or did something die in my tank?" I'll be posting my 6-month pictures soon. No algae, no dirt, clean water, growing corals. Grey Seas skimmer, and now a Grey Seas Kalk stirrer. And a lot of Grey Seas customer service.

bob

I like my Euroreef. There was no way I was going to convince my husband to spend the money for a Deltec, as much as I'd like to get one. I almost bought the tunze skimmer but decided to give a Euroreef a try and unmodded, its probably been the most important factor in clearing up the hair algae problem I once had. So I personally think bang for buck is a Euroreef, but if you've got the cash you should definetly go with Deltec or Grey Sea Aquatics.