My Tank (pics)

tygger

Thought I'd share some pics of my setup. It's been up and running for a little over a year and 99% of the corals were either donated as frags or purchased from WAMAS members. Thanks everyone! Please let me know what you think...

Full Shot

DSC_1325.jpg

Right Side

DSC_1327.jpg

Left Side

DSC_1326.jpg

Stand

DSC_1328.jpg

very nice work beautiful tank. Is that green star polyp on the bottom?

Beautiful tank indeed.

This does not appear to be a RR tank. Do you mind describing your set up, including the sump, size and location of bulkheads and returns, etc?

Just curious, since I'm about to set up my first tank, which is not RR and has limited space for sump.

Thanks,

T

Guest tgallo

very well done, rock placement looks great.

very nice work beautiful tank. Is that green star polyp on the bottom?

Thanks! Yup, that's green star polyps.

(edited)

Very nice,

How long of a light cycle and what temp are you able to maintain?

250w 10k MH lights on for 10hrs. Actinics on 1hr before and after the MH's. I turn them off when the MH's are on because I couldn't see a difference and it helped with the heat.

There's still an on-going issue with my left bulb that I haven't had time to trouble shoot. At least 2 times a week, the left bulb won't fire up right away and can take a few hours before it comes on.

Before I added the small fan on top, my temp was usually around 81-82F (and sometimes even 83) during the day and 80 at night. After the fan addition, it's usually around 80 (sometimes 81) during the day and 79 at night with the fan off.

Edited by tygger

Nice setup, Chak. I like the rock's color. What Ca level do you maintain?

Thanks! I try to maintain 410-420ppm, but honestly don't know where it's at right now because it's not something I test regularly anymore. I tested regularly in the early stages, but now, parameters are pretty stable. I also top off with kalk.

Beautiful tank indeed.

This does not appear to be a RR tank. Do you mind describing your set up, including the sump, size and location of bulkheads and returns, etc?

Just curious, since I'm about to set up my first tank, which is not RR and has limited space for sump.

Thanks,

T

Thanks! It actually is a RR tank. The overflow is hidden behind the rocks on the left side. You can see the loc-lines extending from the sides of the overflow. The tank is a 72g RR bow front with a 29g sump. What size tank are you setting up?

My tank was originally designed to use durso standpipes, but they were too noisy for me so I decided to use "Herbie's" method (on reefcentral). In doing so, I had to use both bulkheads that are located inside the overflow as drains. One as the main drain and the other as a backup emergency drain. I ran the return plumbing up over the back of the tank.

Let me know if you have any other questions. If you want to see, I have pics from the time I was setting up that might be helpful.

very well done, rock placement looks great.

Thanks Tony. :)

Really nice setup. Well done. Something I hope to emulate someday with my tank.

But really, what kind of paint did you use to cover the rocks in purple? (just kidding) :)

Really nice setup. Well done. Something I hope to emulate someday with my tank.

But really, what kind of paint did you use to cover the rocks in purple? (just kidding) :)

Just used 4 cans of some generic aquarium safe paint.

:biggrin:

But seriously, the coraline just took off. I'll add some old pics from about a year ago. In one of the pics, you can see the rocks with little to no coverage.

Here's a pic of the back of the tank during setup. These pics were taken over a year ago...

IMG_1752.jpg

A close up of the built-in overflow:

IMG_1753.jpg

The back of the stand. I enclosed most of it to keep noise down and fuge light from escaping the back at night. Didn't want to light up the entire room.

IMG_1689.jpg

29g AGA tank fit perfectly inside the 72g AGA bow front stand.

IMG_0998.jpg

Had to temporarily remove the top brace to fit the sump/fuge.

IMG_0999.jpg

Sump/fuge w/ glass baffles

IMG_1229.jpg

Sump/fuge top view through display

IMG_1603.jpg

Another close-up

IMG_1604.jpg

Water testing. Water is flowing over from the fuge to the return section in the center section.

IMG_1237.jpg

I noticed after some evap, the water would fall too far causing a lot of noise so I added these nifty things... (It looks nasty because I just added the sand and created a dust storm)

IMG_3089.jpg

More close-ups:

IMG_3095.jpg

Here's the tank as of 6/01/06 (Almost exactly 1 year ago!)

CopyofIMG_3403.jpg

Here's the auto top-off switches. That tube you see in the pic was from the return pump before I purchased a peristaltic pump.

IMG_3413.jpg

This is the top-off reservoir that sits beside the tank. Pump you see in the reservoir is no longer there.

IMG_3412.jpg

Sump/fuge as of 9/09/06. Here you can see the dosing pump.

IMG_5356.jpg

very good looking tank there