Live rock configuration

Kenneth

(edited)

I can't attach a pic, so it's in my profile. My tank is 12 D x 20 H x 24 L and this is my rock formation. I'm just wondering if this is too much rock and whether it's just stacked too high? Should I leave it as it is?

gallery_550_152_7156.jpg

Edited by davelin315

I clicked on your gallery and it shows 1 pic of "my tank" in a private gallery. Try editing your gallery and checking the box to allow others to view your album.

Or just do what James said and open upload it to photobucket. It really is the easiest way IME.

Sorry about that. I made my gallery public.

I clicked on your gallery and it shows 1 pic of "my tank" in a private gallery. Try editing your gallery and checking the box to allow others to view your album.

Or just do what James said and open upload it to photobucket. It really is the easiest way IME.

Thanks. That gives me some assurance that I just have not jumbled together too much live rock. I do have a rose bubble tip anemone, but he was "deflated" when the pic was taken.

Looks good to me. Is that a rose bubble tip anemone?

Thanks. That gives me some assurance that I just have not jumbled together too much live rock. I do have a rose bubble tip anemone, but he was "deflated" when the pic was taken.

It's mostly a matter of preference, but I prefer a more open structure and more room for swimming, with additional live rock placed in sump for filtration benefits. I would be a little concerned with getting enough water flow through your rock structure the way you have it set up. I'm not saying that what you have is "wrong", just throwing out a different opinion. You'll find lots of them in this hobby. :cheers:

With my 400gph filter/skimmer and 500gph powerhead, I was thinking that the flow was actually too much for a 25 gal, but I was concerned about lighting, since many rocks are stacked on top of each other, that can lead a number of dead spots. This weekend, I will try rearranging the tank, and I may take out a couple of large tufa rocks that I trying to make "live."

After the great advice I received on here, I think I will get a 40 gal breeder and order a new stand to accomodate it. I really want a 10 gal sump with fuge to go with it, but I am totally ignorant on this, but I'm doing my research; the plumbing and configurations are so myriad. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I have become a WAMAS member (mailed the check yesterday)!!! I look forward to attending the next WAMAS activity. I've already met Vu, who took my Valentini Puffer from my hands. He's doing fine in Vu's 210 gal:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x44/kmr...rdam/Puffer.jpg

I'm Kenneth BTW. I teach high school English in Arlington (and also live in Arlington).

It's mostly a matter of preference, but I prefer a more open structure and more room for swimming, with additional live rock placed in sump for filtration benefits. I would be a little concerned with getting enough water flow through your rock structure the way you have it set up. I'm not saying that what you have is "wrong", just throwing out a different opinion. You'll find lots of them in this hobby. :cheers:

English teacher! How fun!

. . . take out a couple of large tufa rocks that I trying to make "live."

. . . take out a couple of large tufa rocks that I am trying to make "live". (punct.)

Man - I've always wanted to correct an English teacher's paper!!

Welcome to WAMAS!!

bob

With my 400gph filter/skimmer and 500gph powerhead, I was thinking that the flow was actually too much for a 25 gal, but I was concerned about lighting, since many rocks are stacked on top of each other, that can lead a number of dead spots. This weekend, I will try rearranging the tank, and I may take out a couple of large tufa rocks that I trying to make "live."

After the great advice I received on here, I think I will get a 40 gal breeder and order a new stand to accomodate it. I really want a 10 gal sump with fuge to go with it, but I am totally ignorant on this, but I'm doing my research; the plumbing and configurations are so myriad. Any advice would be appreciated.

BTW, I have become a WAMAS member (mailed the check yesterday)!!! I look forward to attending the next WAMAS activity. I've already met Vu, who took my Valentini Puffer from my hands. He's doing fine in Vu's 210 gal:

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x44/kmr...rdam/Puffer.jpg

I'm Kenneth BTW. I teach high school English in Arlington (and also live in Arlington).

Bob,

Yes, sometimes I am careless in informal writing, but that won't happen again on this forum. However, the second item you cited as an error was not. In "American style

• 2 weeks later...

Kenneth,

I agree with you. This group definitely seems like a lively and humorous group. I've been a member for only a few days. I spent it mostly asking question lots of questions and reading up on various postings. Haven't been able to contribute much because I am very new at this. But I hope that will change as I continue forward. Since you are an English teacher and I be the first to admit that I'm extremely careless with my grammar or maybe I'm just naturally bad at it, don't grade me too harshly.

James

I can't attach a pic, so it's in my profile. My tank is 12 D x 20 H x 24 L and this is my rock formation. I'm just wondering if this is too much rock and whether it's just stacked too high? Should I leave it as it is?

as long as you like it....there is nothing wrong with it...

When you post the window has the type settings, then text color, and then a 3rd category. The last one in it allows you to post from your gallery directly. I added the picture for you.

In my opinion, the only time you might have too much rock is when it's so densely stacked that water does not flow at all through it, otherwise it's whatever you like! I love to add tons of rock and always have lots of it in my systems.

When you post the window has the type settings, then text color, and then a 3rd category.

Not on my reply window. :( Never was able to figure out why not though.

Bob,

Yes, sometimes I am careless in informal writing, but that won't happen again on this forum. However, the second item you cited as an error was not. In "American style

Bob,

i have to write for my job and edit what other people write, and am very obsessive with it, however my personal relaxation time has no room for writing rules and however it comes out is how it stays

Rascals got this nailed for you-

Preference-

extra rock can alway go in the fuge if you want to open it up for more swimming room depending on what fish stocking you are doing.

Ken welcome aboard. I'll hit the PO Box this weekend and look for your check. I was just there on Monday as well and send our membership director the info. on those that paid by check.

Good start to your tank. Stacking rock is a personal preference.

Just don't take Craig's advice when it comes to fish stocking! Well, unless you have an unbelievable skimmer. He only has 35ish... :biggrin:

Welcome Kenneth.

Just don't take Craig's advice when it comes to fish stocking! Well, unless you have an unbelievable skimmer. He only has 35ish... :biggrin:

Welcome Kenneth.

Just don't listen to Doug when it comes to taking photos of your tank. Can you guess which tank is mine and which is Doug's :blush:

med_gallery_868_13_61984.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG

:lol:

:smokin: