Killer in the tank

Guest Undercoverdork

Guest Undercoverdork

So, about 3 months ago my Blue/Green reef chromis disappeared. I made a post on RC and people said they are

Inverts??

I had a Red Hermit crab get me for $150 worth of fish in a week, regular one, not dwarf!

I had a Coral Banded Shrimp get me for $50 worth of fish in 1 week also!

Both was grabbing them in their sleep!

Large Bristol worm maybe? Stories of them 6' long!!!

Guest Undercoverdork

i do have a purple w/ dark purple bands serpant star...think that could be it?

my blue leg hermits are very agressive, think they could be doing it, they have killed other hermits for shells?

also my cleaner shrimp has gotten huge...what about him?

this is a nightmare !

I've had something knock out all my green emrdal mirthrax crabs, and a sally light foot. I always suspected to just be one of the sally's .... Howards story of the Red hermit creeps me the H-E-double hocky sticks out though.

The Green Serpent is a Known Live Fish Killer, not sure about a Purple?

Guest Undercoverdork

How about you set up a trap?

I'm going to, im just wondering what has worked for people in the past. what they used as bait etc...

any ideas for me?

how will baiting a trap effect my levels?

Stomatopod!

I had one in my tank for years before I started a reef tank. I had seen it once in a while but didn't think much of it, just some kinda shrimp, cool.

NO, not so cool. For years after moving to a reef tank in 1999, I could not figure out why I could not keep small fish. I would buy them, insert them in the tank, and maybe see them once or twice after that. Then they were never to be seen again. I had large fish which I still have, but could absolutely not keep a small fish to save my life.

Then I figured it out. Stomatopod! There were loud and distinct clicking sounds from the tank. Stomatopod! Snails and crabs became fewer and fewer until non-existent. Empty shells piling up with cracks and small holes in them. Stomatopod!

Although they are very beautiful, they are extremely deadly in the reef tank. I eventually caught mine because he made home in the interior of a large rock. When I saw him in the rock, I simply removed the rock from the tank. That was fairly simple. Too bad I had him for about 8 years before I figured out what kind of monster it really was.

P1000994_jpg.jpg

P1000996_jpg.jpg

P1001002_jpg.jpg

P1001005_jpg.jpg

P1001002_jpg.jpg

P1001042_jpg.jpg

P1001047_jpg.jpg

Guest Undercoverdork

those are some awesome pictures.

i do hear clicking noises..but i own a pistol shrimp though i have never seen it since i put it in the tank.

im going to have to make a trap...

anyone used a trap that has worked? how did you make it or where did you buy it?

I've seen the ones on dr. fosters, anyone used these?

You could try a soda bottle trap. Take a 20 oz (or larger depending on the size of your shrimp) water bottle. Remove the label, rinse it with tap water (or RO/DI if you wish), cut the neck where it flares out to the widest point, then place a bit of food inside the bottle, invert the top and wedge it back into the bottle, fill with tank water (you might have to add a small piece of rock to weigh it down), and place the trap near where you think the shrimp is hiding. Wait til the lights go out and carefully check periodically to see if you have caught the little bugger. Be careful, Mantis shrimp are also affectionately known as 'thumb splitters.'

If you do a google search for 'soda bottle mantis trap' you will find some sites with instructions and illustrations on how/where to place the trap.

Do you have any moonlights on your tank??? I found that when I added my moonlights the fish never reached that deep,comatose sleep. They still slept, if you can call it that, but were much easily woken up. When the lights were comletely off I would come down to see the fish completly out and maybe this state would allow any opportunist creatures to attack them while completely vulnerable. Only my guess.

Guest Undercoverdork

so i made a trap with a water bottle inverted...what should i put in it? shrimp?

i dont have too much faith in my DIY trap...does anyone have a trap i could barrow or rent, i will give you some money..please

so i made a trap with a water bottle inverted...what should i put in it? shrimp?

Maybe a small goby? :cry:

IF it works - come catch my damsel.

bob