Cleaner shrimps

dgasmd

To be honest- they are pretty safe (hawkfish and large wrasses may be a problem) in the tank as fish recognize them for their benefit (I've seen pics of groupers with them in their mouth for a cleaning).  They are kinda pricey- usually more than $20 each, thus my previous suggestion of just a pair.  They are hermaphroditic, so if you wanted more it shouldn't be a problem.  If you get some, I guarentee you that you will be awed at watching them clean a fish.  Way Way Kool.

I've seen them clean tangs but how about clowns or blennies.  

BTW... the other night I was working in the tank and a peppermint shrimp decided to give my hand a cleaning; I thought only cleaner shrimp did that.

Well, I got 3 of them today. Pretty good sizes too. They are all scared now and hiding behind the rocks. Maybe in a couple of days they'll be out.

They are pricey indeed. $27 each at Exotic Aquatics. What was worse is that I laid my wamas card on top of the exotics card that they give you points for and the lady took the exotics card and swipped it. I wasn't paying attention, so it wasn't until I got home that I realized she did not give me the discount. :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

I told her about having a huge sale on livestock and such before the move so they wouldn't ahve a lot of livestock to move and wouldn't loose so much. Do I think that is going to happen? You tell me. Her response after a weird diabolic look was: So, what are we going to sell at the other store if sell most of it here??? ???

I think I am going to let Kabala work his Rico Suave charm and lay the smack down on her. :D

Guest JFish
All I know is that my cleaner shrimp (i have a pair) are aggressive as h*ll with food.  My clowns take food to their anemone and the shrimp go into the sebae anemone and steal food from it everytime...if the clown still has the food in it's mouth (a bigger chunk) and is sitting in the anemone with it the shrimp will lunge at them and climb all over the clown grabbing at the food in it's mouth...I always make sure they get their own chunks of food but they are some greedy little ********.  I don't the the clowns like them enough now to let them clean them...I think they mainly clean larger fish anyways,

I have a pair of cleaner shrimp in my 120.  One is carrying eggs right now, good source of free food.  Might dont seem too aggressive and I actually find them very interesting to watch.

I have seen them clean clownfish before- though not as frequent as angels and tangs.  Likely the clowns get a bit of cleaning from an anenome, or their mucuos coat is different.  They should set up a station in a couple of days to a week.  Having more than one, like other shrimp, they will be less shy.  Peppermints have been known to clean as well- though not as frequent- they are closely related.

I have five peppermint shrimp and one cleaner shrimp.  All doing well.  Definately seen the cleaner working on my yellow tang.  Think I saw he/she/it working on one of my clowns the other day.

I think these guys are way cool to watch.  Beautiful coloration.  In the wild diving, they are fun to find and watch as well.

Well, I think mine are still so scare of their new home, they haven't come out from under the rock where they sat after I introduced them. They are alive and moving around, but nobody is coming out though. IN time.......... ???

I can't imagine having a tank without shrimps.  In my 360, I have 2 fire, 2 cleaners, a mated pair of coral banded and a mated pair of gold banded.  

The fire are somewhat shy and hide easily; the cleaners roam all over the place and like to crawl on my hand when in the tank; the corals are very active but only at night (the female carries regularly carries eggs), and the golds are rather shy.

Eddi

Guest andrejka

Sorry,

I might be too late with my reply, but anyway:

Bought a Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lismata amboinensis) at TRT for $17 three weeks ago (with eggs :)). Out in the open almost all the time along with my old one. They both don't hesitate to rob corals off food either :)

Hey that lady freaks me out sometimes. First time I watched her shue away a dwarf lion and grab 3 emerald crabs for me with bare heads i was amazed. I guess it can be done cause it was, but id never like to find out. and she always give off the vibe that she is there to charm you out of your money. At least shes a step of from dealing with the drag *ss stoner guys that work there and seem like they have bloodline from Jos at roozens with their attitudes.

Besides not sure if shes bewitched me with some white magic, so im keeping my distance :D

Suave debonair Mike

I've got two cleaners in my 120.  I rarely see them.  Not sure why.  This is the 3rd pair I've tried.  I seem to lose them all the time.  I think it has something to do with that snapping and popping I always hear after the lights go out........

mc