Aquarium + Refugium Plan (Please Advise)

bk_market

I draw my plan for my aquarium and refugium system. My refugium gonna sit next to my maintank instead of inside the cabinet under the tank. Do you guys think this will work? Please give advices. Thanx you all in advance. I will attach the picture here :bounce:

I think it's a great idea. I also use built my refugium as a display tank. I use live sand and have a heater, which your drawing shows.

100_0962_JPG.jpg

Additional power heads can only help, and use guards to prevent snails, crabs, and other animals from getting stuck. I am not sure what the additional rocks do. Does that help?

I think I saw people put rock in the last stage before the water get pump back into the aquarium. not sure what it for thoug or maybe im just doing it wrong and it not necessary to do so. Also instead of an overflow box can I use another pump instead? I mean i can put the pump hih in the main tank and it will act as the overflow.

I think I saw people put rock in the last stage before the water get pump back into the aquarium. not sure what it for thoug or maybe im just doing it wrong and it not necessary to do so. Also instead of an overflow box can I use another pump instead? I mean i can put the pump hih in the main tank and it will act as the overflow.

Mine is almost identical to yours, but IN the sump. You said it is a 'separate' tank from your sump? I assume then, that you have a separate 'overflow' or pump to your sump.

You can run into logistical problems with that - so design carefully; if the return pump quits working, but the overflow (or pump) keeps pumping.... you have much water on floor. i.e. - if the main pump in the sump keeps pumping water to the tank, there will be water available to overflow into the refugium (until the sump gets too low). And if the refugium return pump isn't working.... wetness.

You would probably be better off running your overflow from the main tank through the refugium and then to the sump. If you can. That means the refugium would have to be lower than the overflow, and higher than the sump. That's why I ended up putting my refugium in my sump.

bob

Bah I got confuse now. I only plan the refugium and the maintank.

Water flow over from the overflow box in the maintank go down to the left side of the refugium box and go into the macroalgea are in the middle of the refugium and then water flow into the right side of the box and then get pump back up into the main tank. Now I think if the pump on the right side fail then water will stay at the overflowbox level and stop working so I dont have to worry about it draining water all over the floor.

I dont even know what the sump and what it for? Can you explain and advise?

It's OK. Your refugium is your sump. Your overflow is on the main tank, feeding the sump/refugium which pumps water back to the main tank. All is good. No need for a pump in the overflow. The water pumped up from the refugium will increase the water level of the main tank and overflow back to the sump.

You design is a good one.

Edited by Almon

(edited)

Great, now i need to get the equipment now. My tank is 45gal how big should my sump+fuge be minimum? I put the small rock on right zie there cause i think i see someone do that but no idea what its purpose.

Edited by bk_market

Guest JasonD

Great, now i need to get the equipment now. My tank is 45gal how big should my sump+fuge be minimum? I put the small rock on right zie there cause i think i see someone do that but no idea what its purpose.

Make sure is sump is big enough so when the power goes out the overflow will not flood the sump. Bigger is always better.

Make sure is sump is big enough so when the power goes out the overflow will not flood the sump. Bigger is always better.

This is very important. If the power goes out, water will flow from the tank, back into the sump/refugium. WAMAS member bbyatv (Bruce) has posted a picture of the overflow he has built. Look at #2 - the anti-siphon holes. Two or three holes drilled into the return pipe just below the water surface. If power goes out, the gravity siphon begins to take water from the tank to the sump. The holes allow air into the tube and stops the siphon. It's very effective. This is it:

gallery_965_78_28251.jpg

Interesting design for overflow anti-siphon! I'll have to do that with mine if I have time for it.

I always advise people to go with sump/refugium that is 30% or more of their tank size. The overflow will take in about 2-4% of your tank water and your sump should maintain at least 6" of water to keep pump completely submerged.

On my 125g, I have pre-sump and sump/refugium- both are 27g rubbermaid containers. Pre-sump allow for you to utilize skimmer, add additives, perform water change, test, etc. Sump/Refugium being last part, will allow for pods to return into main tank (chopped or intact, depends on pump type) You should have rocks and macroalgae in last part because it'll ensure your life in refugium have chance to pass through into main tank to feed your livestocks.

You can have your refugium connected to your tank seperately from sump. Just need other overflow box or use HOB refugium. I have CPR Aquafuge on my 33g breeder and works very well.

I'm in the process of putting together my first salt water tank and have a question about refugium. I have a 125 display and a 55 fuge. None of the plumbing is done yet but I wonder what does everyone use to seperate the sections of their refugium? I plan to have the overflow go into the sump and the first section have my skimmer, next my fuge, then my return pump. Do you use glass that has been sized and then just caulk it in place or something else? :why:

Thanks,

I'm in the process of putting together my first salt water tank and have a question about refugium. I have a 125 display and a 55 fuge. None of the plumbing is done yet but I wonder what does everyone use to seperate the sections of their refugium? I plan to have the overflow go into the sump and the first section have my skimmer, next my fuge, then my return pump. Do you use glass that has been sized and then just caulk it in place or something else? :why:

Thanks,

I think there's a couple of good plans posted all over RC and WAMAS forum for converting tanks into sump/refugium. Maybe check Melev's site- he's a sump/refugium master.

I'll look and see what I can find for you.

Guest beatle

I used acrylic in my sump. Everyone says silicone doesn't bond to acrylic, but if you do it right, there won't be much strain on them anyway. Look for Cerreta's sump-a-fuge design on RC. It saves a fair amount of room by not having bubble traps in it.