ouch

gastone

Some people just don't deserve to have that kind of disposable cash.....  After shipping it will probably run close to $700 for 5 polyps!  But guess if people are willing to spend it......amazing.

Guest cjm033
george if you ever get to fragging that id be interested in a polyp. if ya wouldnt mind putin me on the list.

Quite the collection george.  Lots of Q's for ya! to add some info to all the saliva from drooling....A few look like they are still recovering from being fragged?  I'm not overly familiar with them, seem closely related to favia/favites and more closely to blastamossa ?  I take it they grow slow?  What else can you fill us in on here such as distribution, habitat, etc....  Hopefully Va-reefman will chime in as well.  I have heard he got bit by the bug...

Cool corals.... frickin pricey though.  Any idea if not so pretty ones will color up with light and diet?  My impression with fleshy lps is that they do not...

George,

That is quite an impressive collection!

I saw John's tanks and he has quite the display as well.  A little too steep for me, but beautiful pieces.  For those interested, check out reefermadness today, but do it quickly....

Thanks guys!!!

Some of the earlier pics were recently after fragging. They're all healed up now.

These corals belong to the Family Mussidae. which includes. Blastomussa, Micromussa, Acanthastrea, Mussismilia, Isophyllia, Lobophyllia, Symphyllia, Mussa, Scolymia, Mycetophyllia, Australomussa, Indophyllia, and Cynarina.

They actually can grow quite quickly if hand fed. I got a 5 polyp frag last January that now has about 100 polyps. I got a second frag of the same acanthastrea but didn't hand feed that one. Today it has about 20 polyps. Hand feeding equals significant increase in growth.

These corals can be found around Africa, Madascar, Maldives, China, Bali, Indonesia, Phillipines, Australia, Great Barrier Reef, but the most colorful specimens come from Japan. Most of those in the hobby probably come from Indonesia and Bali.

Generally I would keep these corals in lower light although I have them in  40 breeder with a 250w 14K Hamilton and a Lumenarc III reflector.

John has a nice collection.

These currently are priced between $50 -100 per polyp.  It's hard to get one polyp so you're getting several polyps if you're lucky enough to get someone to sell them to you. The Japanese acans are at the high end.

There are many varieties of acanthastrea but the Lordhowensis is the most sought after variety. These are rarely imported into the US market. We see a bunch of Rotundofloras and Echinatas but they are not nearly as colorful as the Lords. Hemprichii's, Subechinata, and Hillae tend to demand a higher price too.

I wouldn't expect these corals to color up. That's what makes them so pricy. Just like some sps that will hold their color under any light... that is how the Lords are. Very little to no color morphing with feeding or lighting changes.

I feed mine a mix of mysis and cyclopeeze. They are very hardy, can be fragged easily, and are like an investment. As long as these corals aren't imported regularly. There are very few to go around in the US market. In Japan and 50 polyp colony will sell for $50 US dollars but here we have to pay $50+ per polyp for them.

George

• 2 weeks later...

George,

This is an awesome post!!

Webmaster, ought to change this post and put it in a section on Everything you wanted to know about the  Family Mussidae!

Great display George and would love to add on of these to my future tanks!

Touche!

Howard