Fragging a plate coral

Grav

There were some folks that were going to buy and frag a Fungia plate coral.

I just hacked up a lager plate into 7 or 8 chunks. My question is, do you glue the cuttings to rock, or just let it sit on the sand?

Thanks in advance

There were some folks that were going to buy and frag a Fungia plate coral.

I just hacked up a lager plate into 7 or 8 chunks. My question is, do you glue the cuttings to rock, or just let it sit on the sand?

Thanks in advance

By 'hack' - do you mean you sawed it, or just broke it up into pieces?

bob

So its possible to frag a plate coral? Is there a good chance you'll kill the coral in the process? Just curious because I'd love to frag mine but don't want to kill it in the process.

yes it possible but it takes a long time for it to form a circle. I had one that i fragged and a few peices died and the others were over 1 year old and didnt show signs of growth.

yes it possible but it takes a long time for it to form a circle. I had one that i fragged and a few peices died and the others were over 1 year old and didnt show signs of growth.

I find a lot of references to fragging fungia - so it must be do-able. But they sure are slow growing. And the frags sometimes have 'odd' shapes years later.

bob

To avoid piece of pie shaped plates I TRIED to cut in squares so that we would get back to round sooner. I did not glue them to anything, though I may glue one or two as I have seen that suggested, and would be interested in seeing if there is a difference.

I used my dremmel and diamond blade. The thickness of the coral was greater than the blade, so I basically scored it very deeply from the underside and then cut / broke along the cut using bone cutters for smaller cuts and tin snips (my weapon of choice for large fragging jobs 'who else was at Jeff's auction?') for larger ones.

It has been only a few days, but all are looking much better than I had expected. I don't have a place for every one of these, so yes I can offer a few up as trade bait.