I think I have a xenia problem?

Guest vatbrew

I have a python syphon system that i use for water changes. I use the toothbrush sized wire brushes from home depot to remove the xenia from the live rock then i suck it out of the tank with the python hose. It is a difficult chore. The xenia sometimes comes back.The wire brushes work far better than razor blades in my opinion. The marine scene has bought mounted xenia from me in the past.

I have my xenia cut back to 1 spot in my tank only a3"x3" patch. I love the way it pulses.

David B.

Guest vatbrew

Yes, the xenia was actually attached to the snail. I felt bad, didn't know if the snail could move with it. I pulled the xenia off and put it in a 29 gallon with just one flourescent light. Lets see if it can survive under that.

They are starting a war against the snails.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vatbrew/deta...jpg&.src=ph

A member of wamas donated some of his xenia to me, and it has doubled in size already. I put some all around the tank instead of one general area. Boy, what a mistake.

Awesome! you should have let the snail get into a better 'pose' with the xenia on top. :)

bob

First off, if you have Xenia.....you have a Xenia problem. Xenia and cockroaches are the only things that will survive a nuclear war

I'll take some pics when I get home of 2 of my clams that have Xenia taking over their shells. I've tried wire brushes, razor blads and kalk paste.......but it keeps growing back!!

Hi

It looks more of an Anthelia Coral., and yes it is a weed hard to kill. But on the other hand is a very good water filter coral that keeps water clean in tank. I have several snails walking with Anthelia and Kenya Trees (Capnella) attached to their shell. The snails will eventually loose them, at least that has been my experience.

Galaxia Corals as well as Hairy Mushroom Pavona will kill Anthelia if they are in close proximity. I have both corals if you are looking for frags.

Jacob

Yes, the xenia was actually attached to the snail. I felt bad, didn't know if the snail could move with it. I pulled the xenia off and put it in a 29 gallon with just one flourescent light. Lets see if it can survive under that.

Yup! It sure can! I have some under one florescent right now and it is very happy! :wig:

Guest vatbrew

Mine have doubled in 1.5 months. We are planning an attack at the moment. We're going to cut it down to just one colony on it's own rock. Rather than multiple colonies spread out.

They are starting a war against the snails.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/vatbrew/deta...jpg&.src=ph

A member of wamas donated some of his xenia to me, and it has doubled in size already. I put some all around the tank instead of one general area. Boy, what a mistake.

And my anemone has decided he can't move fast enough on his own...

I laughed at your post last night, and this evening, I came home to this:

P1010046-vi.jpg

It's an epidemic!

bob

what kind of anemone is that?

I haven't the faintest idea - just your run of the mill little anemone. When it's open, it has a pink spot in the middle kind of like a zoanthid. It's been in the tank since it was pretty new - and hasn't grown much, if any. It just sits there looking pretty. And occasionally wanders a bit. Or hitchikes. Today it is sitting about where it was before it took a ride on the hermit.

bob