Congressional Aquarium

Norboo

what was your gripe about the place? I haven't been there since they moved over to the corner, but I've always felt like their prices were extremely high.

I bought some stuff from them a year ago. They moved to a new store (some months ago). It's the old story, buyer beware. You need to know what you want. There are some staff who are somewhat helpful and others who only "look" helpful. Some livestock prices are okay (haven't done a comparative analysis). Owners name is Jay. Seems like a nice guy (if not a bit busy).

Guest tgallo

over priced dry goods, some items almost double in price compared to online vendors.I know, the rents high in rockville.

fish selection, poor.

they like to sell to beginers,big bucks for them.

overall,on a scale from 1 to 10,they get a 5 from me.

:lol2: and why is that?

First, I over heard an employee trying to sell all sorts of stuff along with bad advice. Second, take a drive and see for yourself. Now, that place is a death trap for live goods. Very limited selection and super high prices.

First, I over heard an employee trying to sell all sorts of stuff along with bad advice. Second, take a drive and see for yourself. Now, that place is a death trap for live goods. Very limited selection and super high prices.

as a matter of fact I will... I work close by so I can stop there on my way home. I will let you know next week my impression.

I went there first to get some T5 bulbs, and thought everything looked really nice in their store. Their young staff was attentive and the tanks were clean. One big thing that I always look for, having worked in a couple LFSs, is if there are any dead or dying fish in any of the tanks. The first time I went there were none, so I figured I'd come back and get some snails and maybe a cleaner shrimp as their price was good for them.

So I went back last night with that intent, and also to get a heater. Well they had crap for heaters, and were selling them at $10 more than Petsmart. In fact, they had the same exact brands of heaters as Petsmart. I know because I went to Petsmart right after.

Ok, so equipment is expensive. I can understand that, a LFS has to have a markup somewhere. I went to check out their tanks and select a few snails and a cleaner shrimp. Those all look good, but as a habit I always check all the fish in their tanks. I must have seen half a dozen dead fish laying around. So I looked for a member of the staff, and all 6 or so of their staff members were hanging out behind the front counter, chatting. I made eye contact with one member of the staff, with an indication of "I need help", but he just looked away and continued chatting with his coworkers. At this point I decided to come back another day. I have store credit, so I'm going to need to use it at some point, but maybe after a chat with the manager. All in all, a big dissapointment. So it seems kind of hit and miss.

Guest Bemmer

I was there recently and bought some IO salt. They do run a special on their bags. Anyway, I asked if they offer a WAMAS discount. And they acted like they never heard of WAMAS. They had no idea what I was talking about. That really surprised me.

Tony,

You must have used the magic word "discount".

:biggrin:

If I have a hard to find item, I'll try them. They've got a wider selection than the chains. LF prices - expensive. I've bought freshwater fish there, but salt is just too expensive.

• 2 weeks later...

I was also given the 10% discount back when I used to shop there. I haven't gone there at all since Scales and Aquarium one opened, even when they send me 50% off coupons to my email. Aquarium One is less than 3 miles from Congressional and AO's prices are often half the price of Congressionals. Scales also blows them away price and selection wise. I've also had great success with fish from Scales and AO, and I can't think of one fish that I have from Congressional that has survived. I agree with the customer service, its hit or miss. If the owner isn't there, you literally have to track down one of those little kids to get some livestock. And don't even bother asking them any questions. Most have no clue. What I hate most about them is the fact that they will not take credit for trade-ins. I know there are risks involved when stores do this, but when most other stores offer this, it does nothing for them in building a repour with their customers. I really don't know how they are still in business.

Edited by jamesbuf

i think its because they have alot of customers that are either new or unknowledgeable. i curse my own ignorance when i think of how much money i wated setting up my tank before i knew of all of the better options in the area and before wamas. i signed up the next month. that being said there hours are good so thats a plus but with ao getting more stuff i wont need to go back there anymore. why why why thanx to good lfs' for making stores like this unnecessary

I have been going to that store for over 5 years because it is so close to me but the petco across the street has always had better prices but less of a selection.

• 2 weeks later...

Went back last night to get those snails and use my store credit and was plesantly suprised with the attentiveness of the staff and cleanliness of the tanks. I think the owner or manager was there. Most of my snails are cruising around the tank eating algae this morning. So my respect level has evened out with Congressional.

I think they mark up dry goods about 100%. They offered to order me a light fixture for $1,000, the same one i can get shipped to my door for free for about $550. I guess if you're the retailer, it doesn't hurt to try. Someone might be that dumb or not have heard of the internets.

• 1 month later...

I've had very polite and attentive service every time I've gone there, even when I say I'm not buying anything and just looking. Maybe I've been really lucky, but I don't get that impression. Certainly nothing that would keep me from going back, and probably the contrary - I've felt like a valued customer, even when I'm not flashing money. I've not asked any particularly technical questions, so I can't speak to the general knowledgeabilty of the staff, but several people have spent some significant time showing me things.

The store is clean and organized and they have a lot of very clean SW tanks. I've not seen any dead fish in there. (I cruise the Rockville shops at lunch time quite a bit.)

They run a lot of pretty good price specials. Maybe it's hit or miss, but I don't see the gouging that is being reported here. They have IO salt for $10 for a 50 gallon bag at least since January.

As always, make your own decisions, but I think Congressional is at least worth a visit to decide for yourself.

Alan

• 2 weeks later...
Guest anthony
(edited)

Edited by anthony

We do support LFS, just not the stores who like to rip off their customers. Do some reading on the boards and you'll see that plenty of people support the QUALITY stores like BRK, F&F, Scales, and Aquarium One.

-- content edited by emissary. Please, no name calling.

The people who work at Congressional Aquarium have no idea what they talking about. They tried to sold me a anemone crab and told me that the crab will take flake and algea. I also cant belive they selling O. clown for 35$ for a small one. Darn the petco next door have same selection O. clown for 15$.

• 1 month later...
(edited)

goto thier website and goto the coupons section, they are offering a free LCD thermometer.

[url=http://www.congressionalaquarium.com/coupons/]http://www.congressionalaquarium.com/coupons/

wife pick it up, its once of those sticker thermometer, good for a freshwater tank not worth it

Edited by guppychao

ive actually done price comparasons with them and foster and petsolutions

at least for live stock its over all legit.

27$ for a tiny tang no shipping cheaper than fosters

some of their Live stock prices are out there

also if you go there enough you know who you want to talk to.. there is this one guy who is in the hobby and knows what hes talking about still trying to sell but giving objective advice.

they have niceish tank sells.. if you find a person to talk to their customer service isnt bad they are friendly enough..

i have only seen maybe one or two dead fish..

their dry goods however RIDICULOUS!! those prices are out the wazoo

15$ for a plastic swing arm hydrometer.. i had to buy it because i needed it badly- and i didnt know there were other places.. but im definately going to one of those other places to check them out