75 Gallon Acrylic Construction Journal

VicSkimmr

I'd love to run those nanostreams on a wavemaker, but Tunze says they're uncontrollable. I may eventually invest in a pair of 6055's to go with the 6045's so that I can add some random flow, but it'll be a while.

Couldnt you cycle them on and off with a wavemaker or an aquacontroller type device? I think what Tunze means by "uncontrollable os that you can not use the Tunze controller to control them.

Edited by SDBDRZ

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldnt you cycle them on and off with a wavemaker or an aquacontroller type device? I think what Tunze means by "uncontrollable os that you can not use the Tunze controller to control them.

You could potentially do that, but according to Tunze, the pumps aren't meant to be turned off and back on again constantly (this isn't just a thing with Tunze pumps, most pumps aren't designed for this). So, for their controller, they rig it so it can adjust the flow, but not completely turn the pumps off.

I would think that putting the 6045's on a wavemaker would probably reduce the life of the pump, so until somebody does some research on it, I'm going to stray away from that I think :)

You could potentially do that, but according to Tunze, the pumps aren't meant to be turned off and back on again constantly (this isn't just a thing with Tunze pumps, most pumps aren't designed for this). So, for their controller, they rig it so it can adjust the flow, but not completely turn the pumps off.

I would think that putting the 6045's on a wavemaker would probably reduce the life of the pump, so until somebody does some research on it, I'm going to stray away from that I think :)

I have 6100's on a Tunze controller and I have 6025 that are not being controlled. I have thought about putting the 6025's on a cycle with an Aquacontroller but havent yet and with what I am using them for, probably dont need to. I am sure someone out there is doing it.

• 1 month later...

I had a successful trip to Roozen's this weekend. That place is unreal.

Woot!

DSCN4577.jpg

DSCN4558.jpg

He's having a bit of trouble acclimating to the flow in the tank, but I'm sure he'll eventually be ok.

My fiance picked this out. She has GREAT taste in starfish, here's hoping it does well!

DSCN4570.jpg

DSCN4564.jpg

• 1 month later...
(edited)

Well, I lost the cowfish from an incident with a powerhead while in quarantine. It was one of those stupid mistakes on my part, but I assumed he would be ok with just one powerhead (at 100gph) with an uncovered intake for the night since I couldn't find a sponge to put on it. I was wrong.

But, some updated pics :)

First, the obligatory FTS'

DSCN5013.jpg

DSCN5009.jpg

DSCN5005.jpg

DSCN5003.jpg

Then, the SPS I've collected so far

My first SPS frag (from 143Gadgets): A. millepora

DSCN4976.jpg

This one receded a bit when I got it but it seems to have stopped: A. turaki

DSCN4973.jpg

A. abrolhensis

DSCN4998.jpg

And my 2 freebie frags from RM. This first one was completely brown when I got it, I had considered just tossing it out it was so ugly. I'm glad I didn't!

DSCN4980.jpg

And this one I've got high hopes for. Its got neon green rings around the base of the polyps on its tips.

DSCN4989.jpg

And then zoanthids :)

These are recovering nicely from being bleached. I actually like this new color better than the original.

DSCN4996.jpg

These have exploded in growth in the last few days. I've counted 6 new budding polyps on it.

DSCN4988.jpg

Green Bay Packers

DSCN4951.jpg

AoG: Next Gen - Still taking a while to recover from the bleach.

DSCN4964.jpg

Zombie Eyes

DSCN4954.jpg

Mean Greens: My favorite zoanthids (and the slowest growing :()

DSCN4948.jpg

And a couple of inverts that are in the tank:

DSCN4968.jpg

DSCN4987.jpg

So far I'm really pleased with everything. All the corals are growing nicely and coloring up much better than I expected.

Edit: Ack, it grouped all those pics as one post, I had them split up as 3 separate posts. Sorry.

Edited by VicSkimmr

Well, I lost the cowfish from an incident with a powerhead while in quarantine. It was one of those stupid mistakes on my part, but I assumed he would be ok with just one powerhead (at 100gph) with an uncovered intake for the night since I couldn't find a sponge to put on it. I was wrong.

But, some updated pics :)

And my 2 freebie frags from RM. This first one was completely brown when I got it, I had considered just tossing it out it was so ugly. I'm glad I didn't!

DSCN4980.jpg

Okay - what IS that? It's really nice looking...

bob

• 4 months later...

Update:

My zoanthids are still struggling some, but I think they're getting better. I've upped my water change amount significantly.

DSCN5242.jpg

DSCN5226.jpg

DSCN5221.jpg

DSCN5198.jpg

DSCN5217.jpg

DSCN5234.jpg

DSCN5209.jpg

DSCN5218.jpg

In that pic above, it shows some type of algae that I've found is growing under almost all of my zoanthid colonies. At first I thought it was cyano (which it still might be), but I thought it was odd that it only grew under my zoanthids.

Here's another pic of it:

DSCN5243.jpg

DSCN5236.jpg

I'm going to be upgrading the skimmer and flow in the near future as soon as I can figure out exactly what type of skimmer I need. I'm talking to Dan as we speak, I think I'm going to buy one of his "6" models, customized to fit in my sump if its possible, lol. For flow I'm going to consider some full-blown streams on a controller.

Hey! You fragged the green w/blue polyp unnamed coral! Be sure to let me know when you've got a piece to sell!

Looking good, overall!

bob

Will do, it was such a small piece to begin with that I'm taking it really slowly. So far its been fragged twice. One is for the guy who shared the order with me (since it was a freebie) and the other for Leishman since he has a TON of corals I want. I thought offering that on the table might speed things up, but we can never seem to work out a time to meet, heh. It doesn't help living 2 hours away :(

The next time I frag it I'm going to split it in 2, so I can have one colony strictly for fragging and one for show :) Luckily it grows like a weed.

The algae is kind of a maroonish color. Someone on RC who I knew back when I lived in Myrtle Beach said it looks like dinoflagellates, which I was somewhat thinking myself.

I've got zoanthids in every different type of flow. Most of them are in very high flow zones it seems as their skirts are always moving.