Some PH tank observations

YHSublime

I've had my Apex setup for a couple of months now to handle the very very very basics, and one interesting thing that I've been tracking is my PH. 

I've noticed in the mornings, it's low, like 7.62 average, and in the evenings before my lights go out (10pm) it's at it's highest, which is 8.1

This feels like a pretty natural progression of rising during the day, and then dropping at night. 7.6 feels like it's on the lower end. While I'm not about to start chasing these numbers which for most of my tanks existence, I've never known, but I feel like it begs the question: would I get better coral growth if I found a way to raise it?

It seems logical to me that since the low pH is due to acidification of the water from an increase of CO2 then if the folks that worry about the effect ocean acidification on coral growth are correct it would have some effect on your coral growth.

Mine doesn't have that large of a swing, but I do see the low points and high points at the same times you do.  

I wouldn't go out of the way to chase the numbers(e.g. getting a CO2 scrubber), but things like turning on the fuge light on a reverse cycle to display light or connecting the skimmer in take tube to the outside should raise your overall PH by .2 or so.

Weren't you getting fast growth in the same room with the 22 Long?

18 minutes ago, AlanM said:

Mine doesn't have that large of a swing, but I do see the low points and high points at the same times you do.  

It's most likely because it's in the office, which I'm in all day, with two english bulldogs, all day. 

18 minutes ago, JJKK said:

I wouldn't go out of the way to chase the numbers(e.g. getting a CO2 scrubber), but things like turning on the fuge light on a reverse cycle to display light or connecting the skimmer in take tube to the outside should raise your overall PH by .2 or so.

Weren't you getting fast growth in the same room with the 22 Long?

While not impossible to run the skimmer tube outside, it would be a big lift. And a fuge light is very possible. 

I still am getting fast growth, tbh, hence why I'm not going out of my way. I think three things:

1. A 22 longs growth seems much faster because the space is that much smaller

2. I was running a fuge light on the 22, and I'm not currently on the 80. 

3. I'm running/ran the same skimmer on both tanks

Just thought it was interesting numbers, and interested to see what even better growth would look like. 

I recently installed a GHL Profilux 4, and a CO2 scrubber on my tank. My PH had been chronically low for a while (never above 7.25 or so). After installing the scrubber and letting it run a few weeks I have some decent data. The lowest my PH drops to now is 7.5 at 0600 (about an hour before the lights come on) and it peaks at 1800 at 8.1 (about an hour before the lights turn off). I have noticed that since I have gotten my PH a little higher, and my PO4 down with a reactor, my corals are much happier. I have decent polyp extension on my acros and they're showing some pretty good growth. My leptos that have been stagnant for over a year have encrusted and are taking off and a few other stubborn corals have shown some good signs of growth and color.

In theory, you would get the potential for better growth but probably not highest priority. That being said, I’ve seen positive results with increasing my pH by instant increase in 2-part demand. 

Chris Meckley from ACI says it’s the most important and many other on large scale operations seem to be going that route too. We’ve been feeding pretty well without pH chasing for decades so I think you’d be fine not worrying about it.