Water line on tank (cleaning)

Mando77

Anyone know how to remove a hard water line on an older tank? Glass I have is in great shape but I can’t remove the hard water stain. I tried vinegar and citric acid. Didn’t do much. Was thinking about applying Muriatic acid.

Any help would be appreciated. 

3EB5E4AD-2D2E-4852-B662-4D8D569BE4A4.jpeg

If you can get something acidic to stay in place for a while, it should do the job, but have you tried just a razor blade?  Steel is softer than glass, so it's safe to do (but rusts real quick if there's actual saltwater in there).

That line may not matter too much because that’s where the water line will be once you fill it up anyways. Make sure you don’t end up scratching the glass trying to remove the line. If you use a razor blade, use a new one and dampen the area with water. Test it in a small area on the back.

Thanks for comments. I tried razor blade. And tank is really clean now. I’m surprised the water line won’t go away. Im sure once water is in the tank you won’t notice much. 

In my current rimless, I've got a hard water line. It builds up really quickly, after a few weeks if I don't touch it, I need to use a razor blade. It's a little thing that I'm probably the only one who notices (or cares) but I get it. 

I think I’ll just have to deal with. It amazes me that a tank with glass as thick as this has a water line that’s basically impossible to remove. Salt can do wonders. 

• 1 month later...

If it's a deposit, then it's likely a strong acid solution will dissolve it. Put the tank on its side and add the acidic solution and let it set awhile. Heat might help move the process along. On the other hand, if the glass is etched or the deposit is tightly bound in microscopic pores, you might be able to remove the haze using a polishing bob and a fine glass polish like cerium oxide. It's hard work and can take awhile. Don't go crazy, though, if you polish too much in one spot, it's possible to introduce slight distortions in the glass if you don't polish evenly.

I've found, though, that once you have water in the tank, these deposits largely disappear from view.

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk