Hello from Frederick

Aaron Stillwell

Welcome and thanks for joining us as a member.

As Eric mentions in the post above, feel free to ask questions. 

What attracted you to the hobby? Where do you want to go with it? What, if any, experience do you have with saltwater tanks (or even freshwater)? Have you established a relationship with a local fish store (LFS)? If so, where?

On 2/14/2023 at 12:31 AM, Origami said:

Welcome and thanks for joining us as a member.

As Eric mentions in the post above, feel free to ask questions. 

What attracted you to the hobby? Where do you want to go with it? What, if any, experience do you have with saltwater tanks (or even freshwater)? Have you established a relationship with a local fish store (LFS)? If so, where?

I had 55 gallon freshwater for many years keeping rainbows. Loved it and missed the hobby. Life changing event (8 months in hospital) made me want to experience something new in my life.  I have used ricks in frederick. 

I like Rick. He's been in the hobby/business forever. He's also a good friend of Julian Sprung of Two Little Fishes. Not many can say they go back as far as those two.

Eight months has got to be life hanging. I'm glad that you're looking forward and trying out something new. Saltwater tanks are a bit more involved than fresh. Have you read any books on saltwater aquarium setup and animal husbandry?

Sent from my Note 10+5g using Tapatalk

Well, reading and asking questions is a great way to get a good foundation. Remember, there's often more than one way to do things. Also: Nothing good every happens fast in a reef tank. In the end, you're striving to build a stable ecosystem from the bottom up. That requires patience and understanding. Water quality is important - more so for some tank types than others. You can get there several different ways: Frequent water changes, and/or solid, diverse biological, chemical and mechanical filtration. You have to provide for the needs of your advanced life forms (food, water quality, light, temperature, chemical additives, etc.). There's a lot of "stuff" out there that you can buy - some of it's proven, and some of it's a lot of glossy marketing. It pays to understand how we got to where we are today. This hobby, for many years, was driven by hobbyists from around the world that experimented with ideas, and built solutions to problems that the strove to understand. The hobby is still quite dynamic and hobbyists have played a large role in developing technologies and methods used today even in large public aquariums and, for me, that's what makes it exciting. 

Welcome Aaron, this club is made by great members with combines a huge knowledge. You will find here a lot of help and advice here

Thank you all for the nice welcomes! Look forward to meeting everyone at the next event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to WAMAS!  Good luck with your entry into the hobby, and as mentioned above, feel free to post questions as they arise.