TSM - Dr Reef

Irishblitz

Just throwing out a question for discussion… fish can be difficult to find locally but online vendors seem to be the go to places. As we all know QT fish is key for success but in particular TSM and Dr Reef say they QT as well. Looking for peoples interactions, pro/con with these particular vendors. I leave it up to the group to discuss and inform. 

For online fish I go with reef pro store, for local I go with Reef eScape (who can order fish for you).  I have multiple fish from both vendors and am quite happy with them.  I have heard good things about TSM but have never purchased from them.

Darren

Xabo- saw the post prior to posting this one… do you have personal experience with either vendor or just pointing out a previous post? 

lowsingle- I’ll check that vendor also (reef pro store). Per Reefescape I was in the store last week. Heard a horror story by a customer but this is not forum to discuss the matter. 

1 hour ago, Irishblitz said:

Xabo- saw the post prior to posting this one… do you have personal experience with either vendor or just pointing out a previous post? 

lowsingle- I’ll check that vendor also (reef pro store). Per Reefescape I was in the store last week. Heard a horror story by a customer but this is not forum to discuss the matter. 

I'd be careful about horror stories that aren't your own experience. I can tell you about many bad experiences at LFS. I can tell you about bad experiences at online stores too. However, I have had plenty of positive experiences as well and choose not to dwell on the negatives if the vendor addresses the issue at hand (will be hard for you to know if it's not first hand knowledge) or you have another way/format to get what you want. I'm sure we have all had bad experiences w/ Amazon, Target, etc but yet I bet we all still shop there.... The horror story has to be really bad for me to completely turn away.

Howaboutme- regardless of the story I don’t believe this is the platform and hence no need to discuss it. You are right, one must do there own due diligence but I think you might be getting off the topic. The OP… do you have any insight about the initial question? The initial OP/platform never inquired about any other vendor outside of the two listed.  

15 hours ago, Irishblitz said:

Just pointing out the thread.

I can personally vouch for Dr. Reef- bought a blue spotted jawfish from them after struggling to source one QTed locally. Great communication throughout and pretty reasonable price-wise in my opinion. The fish has eaten everything presented to it and has been healthy and disease-free for a good 6 months or so now since I received it. I ended up ordering several other fish from them recently with another WAMAS friend after we saw they had a holiday discount and also has increased the number of species they offered. They're set to arrive the second week of January so TBD on that order but otherwise my experience was great. The only thing I'd point out is that sometimes there is a waiting time between your order and when they can ship, because if they don't have a fish you have ordered pre-QTed, sometimes you have to wait for QT to finish and/or for sourcing. But all in all, great experience and am excited to work with them again 

I’ve placed a couple of orders with TSM. The fish have been healthy, and I can trace the few losses I had to my own errors.

I’ve also used Reef Escape and been very happy with what I’ve gotten from them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is TSM even around? Website seems dead. I remember their founder, boss or leader past away not too long ago so not sure if that threw the business in turmoil.

Howaboutme- TSM = RobRom Coral… recent buy out (same QT process). Dec 22/ Jan23 was the official transition. 

cpeguero- it takes a lot to admit mistakes per yourself; I appreciate that. To often people dwell on the negatives. If you don’t mind and I can understand if you want to pm so people don’t jump on your back but what was the issue? 

cdw79- I’ve heard that, communication can be difficult with Dr Reef but appreciate the fact that they seem healthy due to the appetites. Keep me updated if you can on your new batch. 

Howaboutme- TSM = RobRom Coral… recent buy out (same QT process). Dec 22/ Jan23 was the official transition. 

cpeguero- it takes a lot to admit mistakes per yourself; I appreciate that. To often people dwell on the negatives. If you don’t mind and I can understand if you want to pm so people don’t jump on your back but what was the issue? 

cdw79- I’ve heard that, communication can be difficult with Dr Reef but appreciate the fact that they seem healthy due to the appetites. Keep me updated if you can on your new batch. 

Happy to share my mistakes. Especially if it can help someone else avoid them.

IIRC the only loss I had from tsm was a carpenters flasher wrasse. I did not realize at the time that they could be very sensitive to water quality issues. I was dealing with (and am still getting under control) algae issues, primarily due to high phosphate. I lost a total of 2 carpenters, one from tsm and one from Reef Escape. Both just sort of disappeared on me.

Looking back, it appears I just ordered the one carpenters wrasse and a hippo tang (who is doing great) from TSM. The rest have been from Reef Escape and WAMAS.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have personally ordered from tsm fish are about a year old, mystery wrasse,whitetail bristletooth,and hawkish, no issues was great to deal with.. dr reef I recently purchased a true Hawaii yellow tang, 3 convict tangs, orange shoulder tang, Desjardini sailfin, and a scopas.. all are doing great and have had about 6 months.. great communication and good to deal with won't send fish until he feels they will make the trip and weather is right delayed an order of mine for 3 weeks showed up in great condition