Mike’s 120

10 minutes ago, flooddc said:

Nice! Looks pretty leveled. 

The tank itself probably not that heavy, it's us old guys that are weak! :biggrin:

I recalled that we put my 220 glass tank up on the 40" height stand with just myself and Cliff Pucktable 9 years ago. I wouldn't dare to try even 1/2 of that weight now.

Ain't that the truth. 

This 120 SCA tank though does weigh 275lb empty...

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shim city. 8)

Wonder if you could get some self leveling compound to pour in the middle of it now that it's leveled all over so you wouldn't have to worry about the shims getting loose.  Or maybe some sanded grout or thinset shoved under the bottom 2x4's.

36 minutes ago, AlanM said:

shim city. 8)

Wonder if you could get some self leveling compound to pour in the middle of it now that it's leveled all over so you wouldn't have to worry about the shims getting loose.  Or maybe some sanded grout or thinset shoved under the bottom 2x4's.

That’s a good idea. I am gonna put a plywood shelf so it will all be hidden. I could put some concrete in the bottom. Hahaha 

Heavy duty liquid nail also harden when dried. Less messy than concrete.

come to think of it, they might also sell concrete in a tube.

14 hours ago, flooddc said:

Heavy duty liquid nail also harden when dried. Less messy than concrete.

come to think of it, they might also sell concrete in a tube.

That's a good idea. I have used multiple tubes of liquid nails putting stand together. This thing is never moving. I have no choice but to make this my forever tank at this point. I actually just screwed through the wall into the stand to it's literally not going anywhere. I was able to recess the screws and the trim is now perfectly flush. A lot of planning has gone into this. 

(edited)

I did redo the shims, and used liquid nails. I also put down 3/4" plywood on the bottom of the stand. I added PVC trim board to the bottom and sides, and caulked it with white silicone to match and keep any leaks contained. Finished up the plumbing, and leak tested it. Success, no leaks!

I do need to adjust the water height a 1/4" higher or so. I think once I drain it there is enough play in the overflow weir to move it up just a tad.

I am loving this setup, and the fact I can keep the backside messy. I do need to add some foam under the sump and some silicone in the return line to cut down vibrations some.

I will prob run it a couple days like this (it's tap water), then drain it all out and start filling with RODI over the weekend.

The cross brace is not needed but gives me peach of mind. I can remove it then screw it back on if I need to get sump out. 

I capped the one return because I may run dual return pumps or save it if I hook up a UV, and need to add a second pump to control flow. 

I am happy to take any critiques at this stage. 

52863642233_e0b6d1aca0_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52862624347_6f65852ddd_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52863207471_93f2eefdb5_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52863595980_952f975864_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52863642243_c2431ea06d_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

Edited by BowieReefer84

On 4/27/2023 at 4:10 PM, flooddc said:

Nice! Looks pretty leveled. 

The tank itself probably not that heavy, it's us old guys that are weak! :biggrin:

I recalled that we put my 220 glass tank up on the 40" height stand with just myself and Cliff Pucktable 9 years ago. I wouldn't dare to try even 1/2 of that weight now.

I was just regaling somebody about 8 or 9 years ago Monkiboy and myself carried a eurobraced 180 into my condo, just the two of us. I also drilled it in my courtyard. Young, wild, and cavalier. 

1 hour ago, BowieReefer84 said:

I did redo the shims, and used liquid nails. I also put down 3/4" plywood on the bottom of the stand. I added PVC trim board to the bottom and sides, and caulked it with white silicone to match and keep any leaks contained. Finished up the plumbing, and leak tested it. Success, no leaks!

I do need to adjust the water height a 1/4" higher or so. I think once I drain it there is enough play in the overflow weir to move it up just a tad.

I am loving this setup, and the fact I can keep the backside messy. I do need to add some foam under the sump and some silicone in the return line to cut down vibrations some.

I will prob run it a couple days like this (it's tap water), then drain it all out and start filling with RODI over the weekend.

The cross brace is not needed but gives me peach of mind. I can remove it then screw it back on if I need to get sump out. 

I capped the one return because I may run dual return pumps or save it if I hook up a UV, and need to add a second pump to control flow. 

I am happy to take any critiques at this stage. 

My only feedback is about the cross brace, but you've already addressed that. 

It's looking really good man, you should be proud of yourself! 

I'd run the water level in the external box higher so that the entire passthrough bulkheads are submerged. It will be quieter that way and even if the steady state flow is up pretty close to the top of the external box it will never overflow because both of those emergency drains will convert into siphons first.

I'd also put two 90 degree fittings on the full siphon drain instead of just leaving it pointing up at the sky like that.  So make kind of a U shape coming up from the bulkhead and then facing down.  That will keep it from making a whirlpool in the box when the flow is going good.  You should be able to run a silly amount of flow through that one full siphon drain with the adjustable gate valve on it.

(edited)
1 hour ago, AlanM said:

I'd run the water level in the external box higher so that the entire passthrough bulkheads are submerged. It will be quieter that way and even if the steady state flow is up pretty close to the top of the external box it will never overflow because both of those emergency drains will convert into siphons first.

I'd also put two 90 degree fittings on the full siphon drain instead of just leaving it pointing up at the sky like that.  So make kind of a U shape coming up from the bulkhead and then facing down.  That will keep it from making a whirlpool in the box when the flow is going good.  You should be able to run a silly amount of flow through that one full siphon drain with the adjustable gate valve on it.

yea, I have been playing with the drains. I noticed the 1.5" pipe is kind of loose in the box, but I wrapped some teflon tape around the bottom and it seals perfect. I don't want to glue anything in the box. You're right running the level higher is quieter. 

Google told me the 1" full siphon can run something like 1,700 gph. My eheim 1260 with 3.5' of head is only pushing around 450gph.

Edited by BowieReefer84

I have added some additional trim to hide the seems, as the silicone still showed and the waterline wasn't completely covered. It is PVC trim and only about 1/2" tall. I just used superglue and caulk. Turned out pretty good.

I have also added rock and sand. It is special grade sand. I was going to go BB, but I hate the sterile look and how it limits some livestock selections. I wanted to leave plenty of negative space, and ensure the rock didn't go more than halfway up the tank. Goals for rock: 1- keep it off the front and side glass 2- keep it open 3- add depth 4- make it secure (lots of epoxy) 5- not too high (I want acros like green slimer and don't want them growing to water line)

I am now mixing water, which is going to take forever. I still need a fresh coat of paint on the wall, so ignore the different sheens etc. 

52887418243_015b408ae8_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52887418238_b7faca5676_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52886401842_ff6650b04c_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52886974831_59711cbec1_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

At first I didn't love the aquascaping, but then your second picture of it changed my mind. I really dig the "path" down the middle, and enjoy how you kept the rock low. That's planning ahead! 

I painted the wall a fresh coat of paint (SW Alabaster), added a 300w Eheim Jager heater (ranco controller has also been ordered), built a diy skimmer stand, added a section of silicone hose in the return line / placed sump on neoprene foam, and am in week 1 of 10 of running the tank without lights.

I am going the BRS/WWC hybrid cycle. Adding ammonia, microbacter 7 / dr. tims, and going 10 weeks empty. Then lights for 2 weeks, then fish. 

52901411158_3fe257be13_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52901354070_e7bd86dcc8_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52897862357_894c86560b_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52898602954_7975e235d2_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52898828245_24afd551e3_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52901124714_34be46a48e_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52901353970_871c4048ce_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has been such a fun read. Your build is coming along nicely! The tank looks great! Your back breaking labor moving that tank is paying off!

I agree with Sublime that I couldn't quite understand the hardscape initially but that second photo really brought out the contrast! I love that canyon!

Excellent job with the plumbing. It all looks so clean. 

On 6/3/2023 at 8:19 AM, Aquastudent said:

This thread has been such a fun read. Your build is coming along nicely! The tank looks great! Your back breaking labor moving that tank is paying off!

I agree with Sublime that I couldn't quite understand the hardscape initially but that second photo really brought out the contrast! I love that canyon!

Excellent job with the plumbing. It all looks so clean. 

Thanks! I’ve had a lot of tanks over the years usually for short periods of time. Looking to take my time with this setup. Hoping I’m 3-4 years I have something really cool. 

Having the unfinished space behind the tank is really nice. I have two 32gal brute trash cans mixing salt water now to do a 50% water change. 

The ammonia dosing worked great. It would go from 2ppm to 0ppm in a day. However, I now have 100 nitrates so I need to address that through some big water changes. The cycle is going faster than expected but I’ve been dosing microbactor 7 daily. 

The Ranco controller is setup and works perfect. 

I ordered a screen top kit off BRS that should be here soon. 

The Radions with the mobius app are fun to play around with and set schedules. 

The tank is almost silent which was a requirement. 

I may order two more marine pure blocks for the sump, since I have limited rock in display. 

I also plan to figure out a way to run the skimmer line to the outside to assist with Ph. 

• 3 weeks later...

Skimmer is ripping away. I added some fish from ERC, and levels are perfect. I added some pods, and have been dosing phyto daily. Also, ordered a tunze care long magnet, and it's by far the best glass cleaner I have ever used.

52996132533_8e95fa55d4_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52996132548_1fa45ed117_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

52996029910_0aa5322cc9_4k.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

• 2 weeks later...

I've added two baby clowns, and an orange back fairy wrasse. 

Tank is going smooth. Taking a lot of effort not to add any corals yet. I really want to wait till I see signs of coralline algae spreading, before adding corals. 

I also picked up an Avast Marine plank feeder. I am going to set it up using schedules with an amazon smart plug to get a lot of small feedings throughout the day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Diatoms are 100% gone. I am adding corals soon...

I put a couple power strips on wall for some organization, and put a ring camera on the sump... Even added a mini fridge.

Avast auto feeder added, and setting up using amazon plug with schedules. Not done that yet. It looks like I should be able to leave the tank for a week with no issues.

53039593591_4c37d93bfd.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53039006872_ea626bbcb2.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53039593701_6228ab00f5.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

ERC QT'ing fish again is one of my reasons for wanting to go larger.

Tank is looking great. 

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I see some coralline spots growing, so the waiting ended. 

I have begun adding corals (going for mostly monochromatic corals):

- Setosa

- PC Rainbow

- TSA Blue Slimer

- Green Slimer

- Red Dragon

- Hawkins Echinata

- Tyree Toxic Green Cap

- TSA Purple Cap

- ASD Millipora

- Bubblegum Millipora

53065993886_2cc9084ef3_b.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53066381910_7de7299b15_b.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

53066179049_92928e8d39_b.jpgUntitled by mteske1, on Flickr

I have a couple more corals I want to add including a couple digitatas, then it's a waiting game. 

Edited by BowieReefer84

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
(edited)

Faced a pretty bad turf algae issue. That stuff is impossible to remove by hand. I added a large clean up crew and a few urchins that barely dented it and were making no real progress.

Ultimately, I dosed Brightwells Razor (and clean), and it's now all turned white. No real ill effects on corals from what I can tell, and the fish have been doing great this whole time.

Nitrates continue to read zero (the algae throwing off my stats), but once the algae decays I am prepared to do some large water changes to prevent a nitrate spike.

I will wait a bit longer than stock more fish, and probably let it ride for a while.

I did decide to go with all-for-reef for dosing, as it's super simple and I am not stocking much corals.

I picked up a 25w UV, but still haven't plumbed it into the system. I need to make time for that, with my main goal water clarity. 

Lastly, I have a avast marine auto feeder. I was able to leave the tank for over a week this summer while on vacation and it ran like a top. That feeder is really great for freeze dried foods, and running it 1min at a time a few times a day is perfect for me. Keeps me from constantly having to walk to the back side of the tank to feed. 

Edited by BowieReefer84

• 1 month later...

The brightwells razor did an amazing job.

I finally just got around to plumbing the UV sterilizer. Having the inwall setup makes it nice because I can put things where they are convenient with plenty of space. I am not sure the Eheim 600 will be enough of a return pump now with the added angles and UV. I will see how it goes. Hoping it's enough flow. 

I picked up a 1.1ml BRS pump and will use that for the all for reef. 

53354590380_6e514a26ba_z.jpgIMG_6478 by mteske1, on Flickr

53354362698_727f1ed3cb_z.jpgIMG_6479 by mteske1, on Flickr

53354590475_39e7e6c6c7_z.jpgIMG_6477 by mteske1, on Flickr

Edited by BowieReefer84