New member with new 125 tank

I’m a new member relearning how to set up a salt water tank.  I had a 45 hex 30 years ago!   

I’ve been told I need a reverse osmosis water system.   Any suggestions on a good one?   

Welcome Doug! 

Air, Water, & Ice is a long time supporter of the club and they do offer members 10% off 
https://airwaterice.com/reefkeepers-rodi.html

BRS is another good place for a unit. They hold sales often so I would wait until a good sale event if you have time. 

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/bulk-reverse-osmosis-filters-systems/wholesale-ro-di/ro-di-units.html

Would you also explain how it works and why I need one as opposed to tap water please?   Also can you drink the water?   

Welcome! Wow, it's been 30 years? You'll be shocked at what is available to help you succeed but the basics are likely the same. RODI gets you clean water, 0 TDS (total dissolved solids). Today, if you don't start out w/ that  you will be chasing nutrients resulting in algae and other no so great things. There's a lot of opinions in this hobby but one thing everyone can agree on (I think) is that RODI water is a must. You can get various connections to tap into your source. It's not too difficult but can be intimidating at first.

You can drink it but it's likely going to taste weird. I've heard/read others that take advantage of having a RODI for different purposes if you want to be efficient. Just remember to buy the 10" RODI systems. They are all universal so you can interchange filters (and hardware) after your initial purchase (different brands, specifications, etc). Good luck!

46 minutes ago, DougM said:

Would you also explain how it works and why I need one as opposed to tap water please?   Also can you drink the water?   

Easier to link a video.

This is not a bad one and its pretty short. 

My tank isn’t near any water source so can I set up the RODI system then collect the water in a holding container and manually replace evaporated water in the tank?   Running a 30 foot hose across my finished basement floor isn’t feasible. 

23 minutes ago, DougM said:

My tank isn’t near any water source so can I set up the RODI system then collect the water in a holding container and manually replace evaporated water in the tank?   Running a 30 foot hose across my finished basement floor isn’t feasible. 

Hey Doug, welcome. The easiest way to do this is to get a top off container to fill with RO/DI water, and an ATO (Automatic Top Off.) This will have a sensor, or a float valve (or both) and it will automatically add freshwater in as it evaporates. My ATO container is approximately 4 gallons on a 22 gallon tank, and I have to fill it up every 3-4 days or so. It's a pain in the neck, but it's all the space I have for that tank.

My 11 gallon tank has an ATO container the same size as the tank, and I rarely have to fill up that container. 

21 minutes ago, DougM said:

They make attachment for sink faucets.

Most reefers make water in batches and store them in a brute trash can for use throughout. 

If your tank is small and you don't want to make it, you can also buy RODI water from fish stores. They are generally around $0.50 to $1.00 /gal. 

But you have to trust the store that they are replacing their carbon block, DI-resin, etc. timely. 

24 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

Hey Doug, welcome. The easiest way to do this is to get a top off container to fill with RO/DI water, and an ATO (Automatic Top Off.) This will have a sensor, or a float valve (or both) and it will automatically add freshwater in as it evaporates. My ATO container is approximately 4 gallons on a 22 gallon tank, and I have to fill it up every 3-4 days or so. It's a pain in the neck, but it's all the space I have for that tank.

My 11 gallon tank has an ATO container the same size as the tank, and I rarely have to fill up that container. 

Just in case: 

Thank you everyone.  My tank is 125 gallons so I’ll need to make my own.  I’ll look for an ATO set up to go under my tank since that sounds like a better plan than running a 50’ tube across my carpet.   

Welcome, Doug! Please consider getting your RO/DI system from WAMAS' long-time sponsor, Air, Water, & Ice. Lynn linked to them way up near the top of the post. I've had one of their systems for nearly 15 years now and it's done well for me.

I purchased a RODI from BRS but didn’t get all the connections needed to attach to my water pipes.  In the meantime my tank water has finally cycled so tomorrow I’m going to get some fish.   Can’t wait to see some color moving around in the aquarium.  

14 hours ago, DougM said:

I purchased a RODI from BRS but didn’t get all the connections needed to attach to my water pipes.  In the meantime my tank water has finally cycled so tomorrow I’m going to get some fish.   Can’t wait to see some color moving around in the aquarium.  

Consider putting up a build thread so we can see what your tank is like and how you progress!