IM SR60 or 80 deep blue

eddiev0008

Hi I'm in a year with saltwater hobby. I just moved to my new condo. I don't have any experience with sump aquariums. I always had all in one. So my question is what would be a better choice for me. SR 60 or a deep blue 80 both rimless one needs a sump and the SR has all filtration built in. I already have a single gen 3 pro radion a IM reactor from my old Nuvo 30. Any advise or suggestions would be great.

Lutz,

Thank you for the advice. My only concern is that I'm not very handy on the DIY projects I guess that's why I always had bought the all in one I'm really wondering which one would be best for me. I never had a sump tank so let's see if anyone else has any advice on my topic.

Lutz,

Thank you for the advice. My only concern is that I'm not very handy on the DIY projects I guess that's why I always had bought the all in one I'm really wondering which one would be best for me. I never had a sump tank so let's see if anyone else has any advice on my topic.

I hear ya! I have no doubt that there will be a couple of others that chime in with how easy it is. Check out the glassholes kits. I totally agree that it is overwhelming. There are some good youtube videos on drilling glass (and planning your plumbing).

This club is extremely helpful and someone (likely many) would gladly help you out. Start a tank build thread with your thoughts in the dedicated tanks section. And add your location to your profile.

Welcome!

Once you do it, you'll wonder why you made a big deal out of it! Ask as many questions as you can, and get comfortable with everything. I can't imagine not having a sump anymore! Is go with the deep blue 80. You will probably need 1 more radion, depending what you want to keep coral wise. Keep your eyes peeled for good deals and already put together setups in our FS section!

Guys thanks for all the feedback and taking time to read my post!

So as I had mentioned I'm not to convinced on the deep blue just that I feel that there is more work to do with a sump. The all in one sounds like it would be easier to manage , plus I already have most of the hardware for it just lacking a skimmer as for the deep blue I will have to purchase another gen 3 light plus a sump and a stand and return pump I think it's going to be more costly for the deep blue? Although I do love tangs and I know they do better on a larger aquarium ! I'm not too sure if I'm ready for A 80 gallon maybe I should stick with the 60?

Edited by eddiev0008

Go with what you're comfortable with, seems you've already decided. Don't be intimidated by the size or the sump factor with the 80, but if you don't have the space, then that's that.

Is there a store in NOVA or in MD where I can see different brand tanks maybe already setup? Its hard to make up my mind on just looking at pics and youtube vids. I bealive its easier for me to decide if I can compare them physically in person. Any place you can suggest for me?

Thanks

The Marine scene has a great deal on the IM SR60 in their showroom

They are in Herndon, VA

Welcome I have both kinds of set ups and trust me when I say go the sump route. Better water quality, more options, and easier to clean.

And, though I understand why you would lean towards the all in one, a sump isn't complicated.  It is simply gravity draining from your display, landing in the sump, and pumped back up to the display.  You don't have to put anything in it but a return pump if you don't want to.  I used to be terrified of flooding risks, and it is actually simple to avoid.  You really don't have to be handy.  Though I have had a sump, I haven't ever planned and set one up from scratch.  So I got an undrilled 75 gallon and am anxious to get started.  Yikes!  And, not that it should matter one iota...I am a girl.   :laugh:

Edited by lutz123

Ok guys good evening so I was doing more research as I'm leaning into my first sump aquarium, I found a manufacturer which is making a 70 gallon with sump, stand and protein skimmer all included for 1400! Less than the SR60 it's from cad called the artisian ii any feedback? Or should I stick with deep blue? I perfer the shallow tanks but this one looks like easy setup!

Well, if you are still looking, check out SC Aquariums. They sell full systems and are supposed to be very nice tanks. That is who I was going to go with before I ended up buying used.

Editing to add...and they are very reasonable.

Edited by lutz123

Ok guys good evening so I was doing more research as I'm leaning into my first sump aquarium, I found a manufacturer which is making a 70 gallon with sump, stand and protein skimmer all included for 1400! Less than the SR60 it's from cad called the artisian ii any feedback? Or should I stick with deep blue? I perfer the shallow tanks but this one looks like easy setup!

Welcome!

I would go with a sump if you have the space, it increases the quantity of water which helps stabilize the system. You will want to get it drilled with an overflow, (that is a whole topic by itself!). The sump also allows you to have space for other items like skimmers, refugiums, pumps, and reactors. Get the largest tanks and sump that you have space for since you don't need to filling he entire tank with rock, leave a lot of open space.

All you need to do is ask the question " Has anyone ever bought a tank they thought was just right and then decide to upgrade to a larger tank with in a year."

I have a IM 16g........was not large enough, now building a 300g tank and close to a 700g total system.....yea I have a problem. :)