IM SR60 or 80 deep blue

eddiev0008

Welcome!

I would go with a sump if you have the space, it increases the quantity of water which helps stabilize the system. You will want to get it drilled with an overflow, (that is a whole topic by itself!). The sump also allows you to have space for other items like skimmers, refugiums, pumps, and reactors. Get the largest tanks and sump that you have space for since you don't need to filling he entire tank with rock, leave a lot of open space.

All you need to do is ask the question " Has anyone ever bought a tank they thought was just right and then decide to upgrade to a larger tank with in a year."

I have a IM 16g........was not large enough, now building a 300g tank and close to a 700g total system.....yea I have a problem. :)

Wow are you still building a 300G system ??? No updates not true!!!!!! :laugh:

Wow are you still building a 300G system ??? No updates not true!!!!!! :laugh:

Dude I have been putting in the hours and my crews are slammed. They actually will be back some this week since we are dropping a deck and redoing it in my neighborhood. No updates since nothing has changed for a month.

• 3 months later...

Welcome, I have a recently setup system, you don't actually have to be very handy to get a sump setup its pretty easy.  I'll toss out some notes/advice.

#1 buy a reef ready tank (that is pre-drilled for sump) and the stand that goes with it.   Basically it just means the corner(s) or maybe the back has a big black square thing that lets the top inch of water go down a tube.   The plumbing kit normally comes with the tank.  Lots of different brands.

#2 buy a pre-made sump.  I would recommend Trigger Systems or something commercially pre-made to make it super easy.

#3 the "pumbing" part is literally screwing some pipes together with your hands (bulkhead) for the drain/return on the tank side.  The bottom of the tank and connect to the sump with some soft tubing that you can tighten down with a little strap. super easy. One tube goes to the pump the sends the water up, the other goes uses gravity ;)  -- obviously you have to buy a pump.

At this point with very little effort you have a tank with sump setup.  if you get a three compartment sump (pretty common setup) the drain side where the water comes in you put your skimmer in, the middle is for refugium usually, and the third is where the pump sits.

Stand wise, its optimal to pick a stand with a very large door opening, and/or removable sides.  The more space the easier everything will be.  More Space is way better.

#4 read about the skimmer when you pick the system.  Some skimmers need to be in a certain depth of water, some need a pump of their own, some connect to the return lots of options that are totally up to you, and like a million opinions out there.  Keep in mind skimmers are tall, so triple check the measurements before you buy anything to you know its all the right size.  Alot of people do "+1" on skimmers meaning they buy the model one size bigger than their tank.

I personally prefer the sump option because if you ever want to add/change something no problem guy buy it hook it up done.   If you restrict yourself to one of these all-in-one tanks you are highly restricted on what you can buy/do/use and close off alot of options to yourself. 

A few "unmentioned" benefits, the more water in the system the more stable systems usually are (temperature swings, or mistakes are easier to correct).  The sump also provides a place to put some live rock if you feel like you want less of it visible in your tank for whatever reason.  It also provides room for other things you might decide to do like Auto Top Off (so you don't have to keep on adding water as frequently) and other things that can simplify your life.  Another thing to keep in mind is if you read up on refugiums keep in mind size matters.  I think all of us could benfit from a larger one, but keep in mind a really big tank with a super small refugium is most likely less effective then  a really big tank with a medium size one.  Just think/look at proportions and sizes when you pick out your stuff.

Anyways i went sump, and i'm way happy with it.

Good Luck

-Nathan