How does your Chalice grow?

YHSublime

So a lot of the photography, and a lot of the pricey pieces of coral I've been seeing around happen to be of Chalice. It seems like there is a wide variety of it, but how exactly does it grow?

I only see pictures of frags mounted on plugs, and I google imaged it, but those pictures all appear to be frags as well, except for some "blobs" that grow out on rock? or sand? Is that how they spread? Will they cover a rock? Will they just grow out in a sandbed? Are they slow growers, is that what makes them "collectable" or "valuable?"

What kind of things do chalice require in order to be a) kept b) fast growers? What should the location be for them in a saltwater tank?

Shortly after posting this thread, I found this article which cleared up a lot of my questions:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/blog/chalice-corals

I still don't understand how they grow though, I'd like to see a chalice colony of a "rare" piece.

Posted Image

Most grow to form a chalice, hence the name.

Nice! :P

That is just what I was interested in seeing!

Nice! Thanks for sharing, those are great photos! I can see how they can be addicting, so pretty!

I've had some problems with one or two, but then there's my Alien Eye chalice. It was probably about this size when I got it:

gallery_2631918_925_4038.jpg

About 18 months later, it looked like this:

gallery_2631918_925_103990.jpg

That was a year ago. In the meantime, I had brown jelly hit one side of it that I had to remove several months ago. Even so, this is it (more or less) today:

gallery_2631918_925_263405.jpg

I see the frag pics but where are the grown out images? *stab!*

Anyways growth probly depends on the type of chalice right? Some kinda encrust more than cup correct?

Does something like a 5x5 take 5 years or so to grow?

The Miami hurricane was high end at one point right? Grows pretty good for me. I think a lot of the new high end stuff being slow growers is just people saying that so they can keep charging a lot. Just my thoughts not fact, the high prices of the high end chalices are just insane to me...

And no something 5 by 5" shouldn't take 5 years to grow... If you start out with a 400 dollar booger frag it may though.

I'm learning a lot from this thread.