has anyone tried this? Was it fun?

treesprite

The ad for this says: "It`s so fun and easy you will want Majano Anemones, just so you can destroy them!"

http://www.marinedepot.com/Majano_Wand_Aiptasia_Majano_Eliminator_Majano_Aiptasia_Eliminator-PS_Aquatics_LLC-4P1111-FIMIMW-vi.html

So if you have tried it, was it fun? LOL

I will let you know....I am ordering one on Monday !!!

This specific type?

(edited)
This specific type?

Yes, that specific one is mine. Read here about the inventer. It is sold by Marine Depot and other places.

And you thought I was just another pretty face. :rolleyes:

http://majanowand.com/

Edited by paul b

Go, Paul! Still enjoyed your previous posting about this wand of yours.

Forrest, I think WAMAS should get one and have it as a loaner!

Didn't I bring one or two when I spoke there at WAMAS?

I don't remember, if I did that was the old models, the new ones are injection molded and very sexy looking. :tongue:

you brought the bulb type feeder wands and I still use mine to this day.

The wand was brought up here a few years back and you and Origami (if I remember correctly) were talking about the chlorine chemical reaction released during the process. I made one off the thread, (probably still in the DIY section) but if given the chance I would buy it because I've seen the new version and it could be construed as "sexy". :)

(edited)
I would love to get one to have some fun but I don't have that pest in my tank.

I could give you some of the "pests" if you like. They you could have all that fun disolving them. :rolleyes:

Oh you mean these. I took this picture before I brought them. Yours is the second one from the left :tongue:

feeders001.jpg

Edited by paul b

So Paul, did you encourage them to write that blurb, or did they come up with it themselves?

Didn't I bring one or two when I spoke there at WAMAS?

I don't remember, if I did that was the old models, the new ones are injection molded and very sexy looking. :tongue:

I enjoyed your talk alot, and hope you've given many more since WAMAS. As I recall, you told me it was only the second time you'd given it.

I use your feeder bulb alot, happy happy!

I've had some real problems with allelopathy in my 29 with a large leather coral (easily solved by selling) and a vast number of garden variety mushrooms (requiring 'extreme prejudice'). Just this morning I was wondering why someone hadn't invented a wand with an ultrasonic tip or something to kill shrooms with. I'll certainly buy one of your instruments of destruction.

So Paul, did you encourage them to write that blurb, or did they come up with it themselves?

What blurb? I didn't encourage anything. There is a member on here who owns the business that sells and manufactures the thing. I am an inventer and he does the business thing.

It is now sold from quite a few wholesalers and is doing quite well here and in Europe.

I enjoyed your talk alot, and hope you've given many more since WAMAS. As I recall, you told me it was only the second time you'd given it.

Thank you, I enjoyed speaking there as did my wife. I have not spoken since then.

My views are a little radical and I think many people are afraid of my methods. Some of them scare me a little. :unsure:

But these were the methods this hobby was founded on.

So this would seem to work on anything alive in SW? Specifically Zoas, Polyps, Mushrooms, and Anthelia?

It does destroy mushrooms and it would only work on an animal that is mostly water, it won't do anything if a fish or crab touches it and it will not shock you in the least.

I don't know as I have never tried to kill those. There are about 2,000 of them out there someplace so I am sure people have tried it on them, I just never heard if they work on those and they were not designed for them

I have one I built a long time ago and it works on palys, but you have to get every piece of tissue or they will grow back. Someone suggested not to kill too many palys per day because palytoxin might be released into the water.

And you thought I was just another pretty face. :rolleyes:

This specific type?

Remember this is Paul..............he's won trophy's for his game face alone.........he is.... :laugh:

Yes, Paul, the wand post-dates your WAMAS talk, and, yes, it was you and I that discussed the gasses formed by the wand. I can't recall, however, what gas I said was at the tip. It's either chlorine or hydrogen, depending upon the polarity there. Chlorine forms at the + (positive) tip, while hydrogen will form at the - (negative). My recollection was that the tip of your design was positive. Chlorine gas is very, very reactive and very effective in killing stuff. It hurts, too, in small quantities. I know, firsthand. During my high school years, in advanced chemistry, while estimating the weights of various gasses, the valve on a tank of chlorine gas that I was using as a source failed to close completely after opening it for my experiment. The leak was small, but problematic nevertheless. We had to completely clear out the science building as a result. Ah, the memories... I can still feel my eyes and nose burning.

Tom good to hear from you. The device emits a little chlorine gas but that is not the part that is killing majanos. It is the hydrogen gas. Hydrogen is the lightest element and when you touch the probe to the animal, the water in the cells animal becomes hydrogen, expanding all the cells there by disintegrating the animal.