Radion G5 vs G6

moga

(edited)

I jst saw that Rdio G6 were out .. 
I was about to upgrade my G3 pro to G5 pro/blue..
I just saw couple comparisons on youtube.

Should i go for G6?
Any early adaptors here ? 

Edited by moga

It seems like the biggest benefit is a modified spectral output to fine tune the look, so I'd take a look at color comparisons, especially if you can in person, and decide if it does anything for you.

Then know that if the g6 doesn't seem like a particular upgrade and used doesn't bother you, g5s are already cheaper on the used market!

The big thing that jumps out to me is the spread.  Looks mostly like a wider more uniform coverage, which will undoubtedly reduce hotspots (which was already reduced with the G5).  If you are upgrading from the G3, the G5 wouldn’t be a bad idea (and are currently on sale).  If you have a tank that’s larger than the usual 2’x2’ footprint per fixture, then I’d consider the G6. 

• 3 weeks later...

I have g5 pros and am strongly considering the upgrade, they fit the same fixture chasis so it can be a future upgrade if you go used as well. I do hope they continue to offer that upgrade feature for the g5...but who knows

I just got two G6 XR 15 pro and I am extremely impressed with the spread. I am using them on a big tank and planning to add more. I haven’t done a par reading, but visually it’s impressive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It really depends on you. G5s are a lot cheaper now that the G6 comes out. 

If you really like the coolest and newest toys, get the G6. I'm sure they have improved some stuff but as of right now, it's not worth it for me to upgrade. At least the improvements does not justify the $200-400/light upgrade. 

As a hobbyist, I don't think it will make a difference to my corals in terms of growth or color between the G5 or G6. 

TBH, if I knew they were going to come out with the G6, I would have waited to buy my G5s and go in when everyone started selling them for cheaper :facepalm1: