Buying Custom Glass

YHSublime

Hello WAMAS!

I'm getting ready to seal the drilled holes in the bottom of a deep blue 80 gallon rimless, and I'd like to do it with a 10mm plate of glass (3/8). The ways I figure, the sheet going over the holes should be the same thickness as the tank. I'm looking for a piece that is about 6"x6" to cover up both holes with one sheet. 

I'm presuming it doesn't matter tempered or not, or quality, etc. I'm halfway tempted to just get bulkheads and plug them, although I think this will look cleaner over all. Does anybody know where I can buy glass like this? Looks like there a couple glass shops in my area, but they are closed until tomorrow. 

I'm presuming if I can drill glass, then I can cut glass, maybe cut a pane out from a cracked tank? Thoughts, prayers, advice? 

34 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Bring back the 120?

Not a chance! 

34 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Dulles Glass and Mirrors have custom prices on line:  https://dgm-prod.azurewebsites.net/custom-glass

Yeah, I have a lot of places much closer, but that's good to see pricing. 

35 minutes ago, JJKK said:

Will be way cheaper to find a cracked tank or Petco $1/gal tank and cut.

That's what I'm thinking!

22 minutes ago, ExoticAquaticsVA said:

I would (and have) use capped bulkheads flange side up gasket on the water side.

Just figured it would be a better aesthetic to have a piece of glass, do you sell the bulkheads and caps? I've been looking for a reason to swing through! I'll send you a PM to keep within the VTOS! 

1 minute ago, yagerboy said:

Just forget it and sell back to me :)

HA. Tell you what man, when it comes to tanks, I'm like Xhibit, and this is "Pimp My Ride." 

51989231111_61b7ae06d1_o.jpg

51988229007_a84871a54f_o.jpg

When I made a glass sump years ago I just went to a show that did windows and doors and they had glass in stock and were willing to cut it - it's not too bad to cut yourself, though, basically the same as acrylic/plexiglass and doesn't need a lot of tools.  Could be harder to find glass as thick as you're thinking, though.

That said, I don't know of another tank patched this way, and given how obsessive people are about seams and things, I wonder if it's even a good idea.  There's a fair bit of pressure being exerted, and while the surface area should be pretty good, I don't know whether it would be really reliable in the future or if the edges/shape of it would invite damage from creatures trying to pick at the edges.  Bulkheads seem like a good alternative for me, and anything with a slip or thread fitting on the outward side would be easy to assemble as any other bit of plumbing - may even be useful as an emergency drain or sump option or something down the line.

20 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

When I made a glass sump years ago I just went to a show that did windows and doors and they had glass in stock and were willing to cut it - it's not too bad to cut yourself, though, basically the same as acrylic/plexiglass and doesn't need a lot of tools.  Could be harder to find glass as thick as you're thinking, though.

That's not a bad idea. I figured the thickness should match. From what I was told is 1" around the holes should be enough to handle the pressure, and match the tank glass thickness with the cover. 

21 minutes ago, DaJMasta said:

That said, I don't know of another tank patched this way, and given how obsessive people are about seams and things, I wonder if it's even a good idea.  There's a fair bit of pressure being exerted, and while the surface area should be pretty good, I don't know whether it would be really reliable in the future or if the edges/shape of it would invite damage from creatures trying to pick at the edges.  Bulkheads seem like a good alternative for me, and anything with a slip or thread fitting on the outward side would be easy to assemble as any other bit of plumbing - may even be useful as an emergency drain or sump option or something down the line.

I've seen a few youtube videos and it doesn't seem to be an issue, but with most things on the internet, I don't know what the long term success is. Honestly, bulkheads and plugs would be easiest. It might be the push I need to add sand. 

2 minutes ago, yagerboy said:

Looking Good!  Still kicking myself

Happy wife, happy life. You're doing alright!

(edited)

On one of my previous tank, I used a piece of old aquarium glass TOP and silicone it to cover the holes. 

Alternatively, you can go to Lowes, have them cut you 3-4 pieces of thin glass and sandwich them together.

edit:

https://www.petsmart.com/fish/heating-and-lighting/hoods-and-glass-canopies/top-fin-hinged-aquarium-glass-top-5230425.html?gclsrc=aw.ds&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIuKnXwoWD9wIVgYrICh1tEweUEAQYBCABEgJs-vD_BwE

Get something like this and pull the glass out and use it as it or cut it to size.

Edited by flooddc
correction

Fairfax Glass Company in Falls Church. You can buy some scraps that meet your requirements for cheap. 

If you go with glass, there’s a place I got pieces from online when I put baffles in my sump. Need to dig up the link somewhere. Might be in my build thread. Looks like you’ve got plenty of options locally too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, yagerboy said:

IMO - Peace of mind is worth some sacrifice.  Bulkhead/plug and hide with sand, rock etc

Yup, that's what I would do.  Depending on the spot I doubt you'd even know it's there and it's the easiest and also most vetted approach.  I do think glass would probably be fine but just a little more unknown and unknowns when dealing with thousands of dollars plus lots of water worry me

Huh, lots of votes for bulkheads here. I'd say that I like the bulkhead idea because I could always turn it back into use the other way, but I'll be drilling for a bean animal overflow, so that's not the case :)