Anyone else running glass covers on their reef aquarium?

overklok

I was wondering if anyone else runs glass covers on their reef aquarium?

I do, I purchased custom cut Starphire glass covers for my reef aquarium.

There are so many advantages from my observations:

1) Lower humidity in the house. I run my air conditioner less. I don't have to pull out as much water from the air to keep it comfortable, especially on days where the air conditioner does not run very often. I was able to raise my thermostat 1 degree and felt no rise of humidity inside the house. 

2) I use less reverse osmosis water, due to less evaporation from the aquarium, saves me money on the water bill.

3) Much less salt corrosion on lights and other items exposed to salt water, my Radions collect much less dust.

The only disadvantages I have observed:

1) Higher aquarium temperature, I see about a 1 degree increase, due to less evaporation.

2) Less light entering the aquarium due to reflection from the glass covers, I had to increase my Radions percentage higher.

I am getting great growth, even with the covers, so I think it is an overall win.

2 hours ago, overklok said:

I was wondering if anyone else runs glass covers on their reef aquarium?

I do, I purchased custom cut Starphire glass covers for my reef aquarium.

There are so many advantages from my observations:

1) Lower humidity in the house. I run my air conditioner less. I don't have to pull out as much water from the air to keep it comfortable, especially on days where the air conditioner does not run very often. I was able to raise my thermostat 1 degree and felt no rise of humidity inside the house. 

2) I use less reverse osmosis water, due to less evaporation from the aquarium, saves me money on the water bill.

3) Much less salt corrosion on lights and other items exposed to salt water, my Radions collect much less dust.

The only disadvantages I have observed:

1) Higher aquarium temperature, I see about a 1 degree increase, due to less evaporation.

2) Less light entering the aquarium due to reflection from the glass covers, I had to increase my Radions percentage higher.

I am getting great growth, even with the covers, so I think it is an overall win.

:thumbsup:

I have glass covers on 2 of 3 my tanks. the only con is that the glass cover needs cleaning once a while.

I don't, but have considered it before, and had a question:  do you get any issues with algae/salt creep getting on it and needing to be cleaned?  I had always pictured the tops pretty low to the water's surface, so they at least theoretically could be prone to that.

Hi, How often do you have to clean the glass due to salt spray?  I have contemplated a glass top (due to the reasons you list) but was worried I would have to wipe down the top daily……

Darren

In my experience, salt creep builds up on the edges of the lid, but hasn't built up on the glass surface itself. I see more salt creep build up in my uncovered sump than I do with the DT glass lid. Other's mileage may vary...

• 7 months later...

I was contemplating getting a glass top . Is there someone local that makes them ? Where did you guys get your glass top? What about acrylic tops?

Edited by reeferindc