Well this ain't good... BRS buys Neptune.

It will be interesting to see how they deal with now selling Neptune gear through their direct online competitors and local fish stores.  

That's sort of my main concern as well.  I still think the leadership in both companies are both competent and have the right goals at heart, and I have little doubt the extra resources can lead to some interesting stuff in the more short term, but I too am concerned that this ultimately means still less competition and the potential for a major vendor pulling or denying distribution deals for less than fair reasons.

Not that it will happen in a year or two, not that it's automatic, but a company's goal - by definition - is to make money, and this is especially true when they have big investors.  BRS was already one of the biggest (the biggest?) player in the market before buying Marine Depot, and Neptune has been the biggest player when it comes to controllers... the combination means they have even stronger footholds to leverage in the markets they are already dominant in, and leveraging that in consumer-unfriendly means is in the best interest of their bottom line/shareholders.

I hope anything we see of that is minimal, that there is community pushback if it comes to that, and that the leadership of the companies can keep those moves in check, but I think the reality is that it's only a matter of time until we see it.