Visiting the DC area from Texas...where to go?

Guest BigStun

Guest BigStun

Hello everybody,

My name is Matt and I am from the Dallas area. I am currently visiting some family in Mc Clean and am looking for some good fish stores. I am planning on going by Sea Collection, Vienna Aquariums, and Totally Fish. Are any of these worth the trip? Are there any others I should check out? I will be in town for the next 4 days and would like to check out what the DC area has to offer. I am looking for some good quality fish stores, and if I buy anything, it will probablly be some sps. Thanks in advance for the help.

-Matt  [nana]

Hi There

There are few good stores in the Northern VA area like Reef Tank, Marine Scene, and Leesburg Pet.  Vienna Pet is a good choice too.  Keep in mind that Baltimore has few good stores and, don't forget to visit the Baltimore Aquarium (sight seeing).

Jacob

Since you found us, you might want to meet some folks here.  We are having a pool party at my house (go to the MEETINGS page).  Stop on by and meet the local reefing community...  You'll learn a lot about the region and what we have around us.

s

The stores that Jake listed are nice, but if you head to Baltimore, definitely stop by Exotic Aquatics - excellent store....  IMO...

BTW, is that the new Red Raider logo...?  Sorry, the only Big 12ers allowed on this board are Sooners (this is a new rule effective today...).   shrk]]

Well, I guess since you aren't a Longhorn, I can let it slide...   tng

Where do you shop in Dallas?  I've only ever been to Dallas North Aquarium.

Boomer Sooner!

Mike

You could also go by the National Zoo's Invertebrate Exhibit.  The Zoo is free, Metro friendly, and the Invertebrate Exhibit has a lot of marine exhibits.  Giant Pacific octopus, Pacific coldwater tank, coral tank, lobsters, Nautilus, etc. Amazonia is nice also for large fresh water tanks.

Guest BigStun

I visited the Baltimore Aquarium a couple of years ago...it was awesome. Va_Reefer has invited me over to check out some of his SPS. I look forward to visiting some of the lfs.

OUsnakebyte, I am currently a student at Texas Tech...does K State and LSU ring any bells? [tnt Just kidding, I look forward to see how well OU is this upcoming year, even though Jason White is a punk and is stayin for another year. Dallas North Aquarium is an impressive store, but very over-priced and has poor customer service. I happen to work at a shop called Tranquilscape (www.tranquilscape.com). We specialize in custom aquariums and cabinentry, but like all shops carry live rock, corals, fish, equipment, and so on. We have one of the nicest shops in the Metroplex, but being a year old, we are still expanding and getting our name out more.

Unfortunately, I will not be able to make it to the pool party even though it sounds like fun. I just got back today from fishing the Chesapeak Bay (caught some 30 inch stripers) and have more things to do with the family. Thanks everyone for the suggestions, and if anyone else could point me out in the right direction, please do.

-Matt  [nana]

...does K State and LSU ring any bells? [tnt ...

Touche...   :cool:

Your store sounds nice.  I'll check it out the next time I'm in D-town visiting family.  You're right... it doesn't get much more expensive than Dallas North...

Cheers

Mike

for directions to the reeftank see www.reefstore.com

totally fish probably isn't worth stopping by at- don't know the current status of their salt area, corals never were in good shape.  Marinescene  is also worth a visit.

Guest BigStun

I went to The Reef Store's website last night...I think I am gonna go by there, Yahoo Maps says that it is about 20 minutes away from Mc Lean.

You're right... it doesn't get much more expensive than Dallas North...

Lawnmower blennies are 50 dollars!

Guest Salty_in_Manassas

Marine Scene in Reston is just off of the Tollroad in VA.  Their display tanks are worth the trip.

Reef TAnk has great folks there.  Often some nice clams.

Anyone have any experience with Wally's?  They had some nice corals when I first set up my tank.  (I didn't get any then since I assumed that my tank was not sufficiently mature.)

I live here in McLean and we have a 220h you can have a peek at.

Sea Collection is a private residence, he's a nice guy and runs quite a bit

from his house, usually nice stuff. I love the guys at RT but I never seem to

find much in the store but that is probably a timing thing on my part more than anything.

Totally Fish is in SS and he is coming on strong again. Tropical Lagoon is also in SS.

Chip