RAPNY

Stockpile

Hey WAMAS! I'm thinking of going to RAPNY for my first reef show. Any tips for a noob? Do people usually go for just a day or multiple? Does the club have any groups going that might have space for a friendly easy going new reefer to tag along with? 

The word is that the second day is better for the bargain hunters as vendors want to sell their stock cheaper so they don't have to take the corals back. 

First day for folks looking for special pieces so they want first dibs. 

23 hours ago, lynn.reef.nerd said:

The word is that the second day is better for the bargain hunters as vendors want to sell their stock cheaper so they don't have to take the corals back. 

First day for folks looking for special pieces so they want first dibs. 

That's a great tip. Thanks Lynn!

I may try to stop by if I get the time.  A lot if wamas vendors will likely be there.   I usually go to find unique pieces, so I am a day one kind of guy......

Darren

I'm heading there for the first time myself since MACNA was cancelled.  I already purchased my tickets.

Really depends what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for super high end hard to find stuff you may want to hit early the first day. VIP passes allow access on Friday though, and many vendors sold at the Orlando show. Also, the common stuff should be there.  As for myself I have a list of a few corals I’ve been tracking down in hoping to get a better deal on. If you buy three or more frags from a vendor you can ask for a package price (shoot for 20-30%) or even more likely pick another frag out and ask for it as a freebie. This usually works well. If you want equipment (especially tanks) vendors coming a long distance won’t want to lug equipment back. Usually people will make offers on displays and other equipment. Hitting the last day leftovers they will want to sell as much as possible. Good chance to pick up cheap hardware the vendors may have only purchased for the show. There’s a map of vendors on the RAP webpage. So worthwhile to plan who you want to see. Also worth checking the vendor webpages comparing prices etc. you can usually judge prices by comparing vendor to vendor on common corals. Some are higher then others and some have much harder to find frags. 

1 hour ago, BtmDweller said:

Really depends what you’re looking for. If you’re looking for super high end hard to find stuff you may want to hit early the first day. VIP passes allow access on Friday though, and many vendors sold at the Orlando show. Also, the common stuff should be there.  As for myself I have a list of a few corals I’ve been tracking down in hoping to get a better deal on. If you buy three or more frags from a vendor you can ask for a package price (shoot for 20-30%) or even more likely pick another frag out and ask for it as a freebie. This usually works well. If you want equipment (especially tanks) vendors coming a long distance won’t want to lug equipment back. Usually people will make offers on displays and other equipment. Hitting the last day leftovers they will want to sell as much as possible. Good chance to pick up cheap hardware the vendors may have only purchased for the show. There’s a map of vendors on the RAP webpage. So worthwhile to plan who you want to see. Also worth checking the vendor webpages comparing prices etc. you can usually judge prices by comparing vendor to vendor on common corals. Some are higher then others and some have much harder to find frags. 

What Doug said ^^

I also just thought of something else. 

Cash is best! Some vendors would give you better prices if you pay in cash so they don't have to pay the fees on card or paypal.

Cash is also great when you want to stick to a budget. I tend to go overboard when it is convenient to swipe a card or pay with paypal. 

Yeah cash or friends and family on PayPal. Otherwise they get a nice statement end of the year to add to taxes.