New to saltwater

lstmysock11

Currently have a freshwater tank and want to get into saltwater. Planing on getting a SCA PNP 50 gallon setup. Located in the Spotsylvania area and would like to find information on who might have a supply of healthy fish and corals and live rock.

Welcome to the group Andrew.

you will find lots of information here on just about anything you want to know. I encourage you to ask your questions

23 minutes ago, menglish said:

Welcome to the group Andrew.

you will find lots of information here on just about anything you want to know. I encourage you to ask your questions

Thank you

Looking for a good local fish shop for healthy fish, Corals and live rock. If not from other members would work too, Either way I do not have the setup yet so will take a while before I am at that point. For the most part just have petco and petsmart near me. I do admit the local petco seems to have healthy fish and never seen any sick fish or dirty tanks in that store. Yet still would not buy for my reef tank there.

I did recently get a new Female Betta from there to go in my 20 gallon freshwater tank.

Welcome! Lot's of knowledge here and members down in your area. I'm mostly only knowledgeable of LFS up in the northern portion so I'll let those members in the south chime in. When you're ready, post up a tank thread!

2 hours ago, howaboutme said:

Welcome! Lot's of knowledge here and members down in your area. I'm mostly only knowledgeable of LFS up in the northern portion so I'll let those members in the south chime in. When you're ready, post up a tank thread!

In this forum or under a different section? Do not have a reef tank yet. Still in the planing stage but I have a good idea of what I want to get.

1 hour ago, lstmysock11 said:

In this forum or under a different section? Do not have a reef tank yet. Still in the planing stage but I have a good idea of what I want to get.

In the dedicated tank forum:

https://wamas.org/forums/forum/77-dedicated-tank-build-forum/

Show your process, ask for help or just post pretty pictures when you get going.

2 minutes ago, howaboutme said:

In the dedicated tank forum:

https://wamas.org/forums/forum/77-dedicated-tank-build-forum/

Show your process, ask for help or just post pretty pictures when you get going.

Still just in the planing stage so I really can not do that since that forum says only for builds that have already happened and mine is still not off the ground just yet.

http://www.scaquariums.com/product-p/sca-50gpnpb.htm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CK4NMSF/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B08CK4NMSF

On 2/13/2021 at 7:16 PM, lstmysock11 said:

Still just in the planing stage so I really can not do that since that forum says only for builds that have already happened and mine is still not off the ground just yet.

http://www.scaquariums.com/product-p/sca-50gpnpb.htm

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CK4NMSF/ref=as_sl_pc_tf_til?tag=&linkCode=w00&linkId=&creativeASIN=B08CK4NMSF

Nice! That's a good tank to get started.

I've heard about those lights. Interested to hear how they perform.

Going back to your original question, I think the furthest south LFS is Nova Tropicals in Woodbridge. I don't have first hand experience personally so hopefully someone that sees this does. Further north is Supreme Reefs but if you're heading that far north, you will open up more options. Just depends on how far you're willing to drive. Once you're ready, there will be members in the Statford/Fredbg area to get corals from so you shouldn't be burdened based on your location. Just browse the FS thread and you'll see all the good stuff.

12 hours ago, howaboutme said:

I've heard about those lights. Interested to hear how they perform.

Going back to your original question, I think the furthest south LFS is Nova Tropicals in Woodbridge. I don't have first hand experience personally so hopefully someone that sees this does. Further north is Supreme Reefs but if you're heading that far north, you will open up more options. Just depends on how far you're willing to drive. Once you're ready, there will be members in the Statford/Fredbg area to get corals from so you shouldn't be burdened based on your location. Just browse the FS thread and you'll see all the good stuff.

I am also on reef to reef and the SCA facebook group and heard good things about this light. Last thing I want to do is go spending over 300 ore more on just the light. RC helies huh, I had tried getting into them a few years ago. In fact used to have the Hong kong knock off to one of the small align heli's. I used to go to a hobbie place off 17 but they closed up a few years ago, they had a dirt track on the property. Too bad they closed.

18 hours ago, lstmysock11 said:

I am also on reef to reef and the SCA facebook group and heard good things about this light. Last thing I want to do is go spending over 300 ore more on just the light. RC helies huh, I had tried getting into them a few years ago. In fact used to have the Hong kong knock off to one of the small align heli's. I used to go to a hobbie place off 17 but they closed up a few years ago, they had a dirt track on the property. Too bad they closed.

Rc helis: build, fly, crash, wait for parts, fly, crash, you get the idea? Your area is home to one of the biggest and most popular RC clubs in the nation, the Fredericksburg Area RC Club. It hosts twice a year (in non covid times) one of the largest RC heli parties in the nation. Good times.