BTA trouble

Sph2sail

My BTA, which has been growing like a weed and looking huge and healthy over the last 6 or so months is showing really bad signs...

It has been a bit mobile of late, moving around from under the rock to on top of the rock, etc.

About a day or so ago (2 days max), suddenly it shrank up to about 1/10 its normal size and is now hiding away from the clowns under a rock.

Splitting?  or trouble?  I tried to feed it this AM and it hid even further under the rock.  Ideas?

pH swing is my biggest stress (8.2-8.8) during a 24 hr period.  Low-ish Alk is the primary cause.  I have a calcium reactor on the way to mitigate issues w/Kalk through Nilsen.

Other numbers are all very good.

????

s

Had the same problem.

It split.

Don't move it back into the light, she may be looking for a secluded location.

Grav, I re-read your threads before posting.  You did not mention a shrivelled up look to the BTA, just lots of wandering around.

Just looked at the BTA a couple minutes ago.  The oral disk is huge (4-5") and tentacles are not inflated much, but it is not the 2" diameter shrunk up puppy at this moment.

Hoping its splitting.  Nothin' like succesful propagation.  Anyone looking for a BTA?

s

Steve,

In all likelihood it is splitting.  I have seen my BTA's do all sorts of stuff when they are about to split which would include shrinking, moving, etc.

I would suspect the pH swings are contributing some stress, which could easily trigger a split whether or not that was the anemone's plan.

If it is fully extended, try feeding it now.  Splitting is pretty stressful itself and they heal up far faster with less "absorbtion" when they are well fed.

Good luck and if it is a nice green color, I'd be interested in a trade for a clone :)

• 1 month later...

Yeah baby... I'm a Dad again.  Andrei, your BTA is a splittin/clonin fool.

Check out what I just found in the back of my tank behind the other anemone that is hosting my clowns...

Wahoo!

img_2959 2004-07-08 anemone split.jpg

You''ll want to put them on a pretty frequent feeding regimen or they tend to get smaller and smaller.

One of my colonies that is tougher to feed is to the point the oral disks are down to 2" across.  Their peers in another easier to feed tank are 7" across the oral disk :o

Steve,

I might be interested. How much?

Free comes to mind...

Especially since Andrei gave me the parent for free!

What goes around, comes around.

s

I can probably help with the removal tomorrow.  Can you get the rock to the front that it is settled in or is it at least accessible?

Guest andrejka

Congratulations!

Good to know that “someone” will wait for my return to the country.  I’ll pick up one of the babies in a couple of years :)

Extraction a sucess!  Scott- keep us updated with how it is doing.  Be ready to move some corals around, but wait until it is settled in a spot for several days.

Michael