My first reef

Bmp78

1 minute ago, DFR said:

Definitely a nice scape! How tall is the left structure in relation to the tank?

the left structure will stick above the tank water level by 2.5inch creating an island. 

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I like the scape. I do have a few suggestions.

I like how that long piece branches out. It provides lots of area for corals. I would consider removing those red marked small pillars. They are too close to the surface and won’t allow for coral growth. Also I would recommend extending the green marked base. Once corals grow on it, it will get top heavy and will tip over easily.

large.FE2B4996-C49D-4CF4-87C5-4B81B877FC9F.jpeg.965021034a6637c9f0da9b464f9dfffe.jpeg
I like the yellow marked shelf piece. I think this one is also a little too high for coral growth. I would consider moving it down and maybe a little over.

large.95D4E8EC-38DE-4E6F-918D-30E5DB91FB6E.jpeg.ef572030a570749d3f14ff583d739738.jpeg

20 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

I like the scape. I do have a few suggestions.

I like how that long piece branches out. It provides lots of area for corals. I would consider removing those red marked small pillars. They are too close to the surface and won’t allow for coral growth. Also I would recommend extending the green marked base. Once corals grow on it, it will get top heavy and will tip over easily.

large.FE2B4996-C49D-4CF4-87C5-4B81B877FC9F.jpeg.965021034a6637c9f0da9b464f9dfffe.jpeg
I like the yellow marked shelf piece. I think this one is also a little too high for coral growth. I would consider moving it down and maybe a little over.

large.95D4E8EC-38DE-4E6F-918D-30E5DB91FB6E.jpeg.ef572030a570749d3f14ff583d739738.jpeg

I was able to most of the fix accept moving top plate down. Its anchored  in really strong. may be I can place slow growing corals there? Any suggestions?

Also, sump return water makes lot of noise. ay solution to quiet it? 

You can make a couple adjustments to find a balance between the drain and pump flow. The gate valve can be closed some. However, there is no emergency drain so be careful not to close it too much. Also, the pump has an adjustment in the front to regulate its flow. You will need to play with both to fine tune.

Over time all your wet rock will turn dark with coralline and other algae.  But the piece of rock that sits above the waterline will stay bleached white.  You might find that to look unnatural.

I would find a piece of live rock that looks weathered and use that instead.  Or, they make live rock that has a more natural look, marketed as "Real Reef Rock" and "Life Rock".

There may be pictures online on what a mature tank looks like with above-water rock.

• 4 weeks later...
(edited)

@WheresTheReef @ImGoingCoastal @DFR @Mattiejay6

All the experts out there, I really need help. 

I am having major challenge with ATO. Every time I refill my 5g reservoir, after that first time ATO kicks in, it add excess amount of water overfilling above the sensor and return baffle partition. That's log of water when you have corals.  

My tank is 34g. It has 2 clowns so far.
Sump 15g- divided in return 10g and ATO reservoir 5g side by side.

Tunze Nano Osmolator 3152 (Excess black pipe was cut to feed in to the sump).

image.thumb.png.e349fe98216385bd8db1ea4829ef376f.png

Edited by Bmp78

I’m wondering if it is creating a siphon that pulls the water even when the pump turns off? Can you confirm this? Fill the reservoir and start the pump (e.g, pull sensor out of the water). After a little bit, activate the sensor cutoff (put back in water or use float switch) so the pump turns off. See if the water is still getting sucked/siphoned into the tank with the pump off. If so, then you might have to modify your install so the end of the tube is above the water line of the reservoir.  For example, into the drain section so it won’t be as loud from water dropping further. You could also move the end of the tube to fill into the overflow.

When I used that setup I used a different pump that sat above the sump. It had to pull the water up above the sump so it could never create a siphon. Hope this helps.

17 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

I’m wondering if it is creating a siphon that pulls the water even when the pump turns off? Can you confirm this? Fill the reservoir and start the pump (e.g, pull sensor out of the water). After a little bit, activate the sensor cutoff (put back in water or use float switch) so the pump turns off. See if the water is still getting sucked/siphoned into the tank with the pump off. If so, then you might have to modify your install so the end of the tube is above the water line of the reservoir.  For example, into the drain section so it won’t be as loud from water dropping further. You could also move the end of the tube to fill into the overflow.

When I used that setup I used a different pump that sat above the sump. It had to pull the water up above the sump so it could never create a siphon. Hope this helps.

All good information.. 

This overfilling happens only when I top off my reservoir (weekly) and sump kick on first time. It pushes water beyond the sensor. 
Entire setup is done the way you have described. I'll double check. 

Do you think this is happening because all of sudden reservoir has lot of water and it creates pressure on the sump pump?

52 minutes ago, Bmp78 said:

All good information.. 

This overfilling happens only when I top off my reservoir (weekly) and sump kick on first time. It pushes water beyond the sensor. 
Entire setup is done the way you have described. I'll double check. 

Do you think this is happening because all of sudden reservoir has lot of water and it creates pressure on the sump pump?

If it is a siphon issue, it is probably based on the reservoir water level being higher than the end of the tube.

15 minutes ago, WheresTheReef said:

If it is a siphon issue, it is probably based on the reservoir water level being higher than the end of the tube.

Reservoir water level is definitely higher then the end tube by 3.5 inch goin in to the compartment where pump is pushing water back to the tank (middle section).

Middle section water level and ATO pipe has about 1.5inch clearance. 

As shown in the picture - blue lines.

image.png.bc0628dcc38ccdebd285486737743e49.png

26 minutes ago, Bmp78 said:

Reservoir water level is definitely higher then the end tube by 3.5 inch goin in to the compartment where pump is pushing water back to the tank (middle section).

Middle section water level and ATO pipe has about 1.5inch clearance. 

As shown in the picture - blue lines.

image.png.bc0628dcc38ccdebd285486737743e49.png

Do the test I mentioned in my previous post to determine if indeed it is creating a siphon, or just raise the end of the pipe to see if it works correctly. I know it will be loud as the water drops into the sump. You can always modify the end so that the water coming out of the pipe hits and runs down the glass to make it quite, or as mentioned in my previous post.

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Do the test I mentioned in my previous post to determine if indeed it is creating a siphon, or just raise the end of the pipe to see if it works correctly. I know it will be loud as the water drops into the sump. You can always modify the end so that the water coming out of the pipe hits and runs down the glass to make it quite, or as mentioned in my previous post.

As of now I have so much water and waiting to evaporate.  Tonight I'll try to remove some water and do the test.

On 10/30/2020 at 4:50 PM, Bmp78 said:

As of now I have so much water and waiting to evaporate.  Tonight I'll try to remove some water and do the test.

so I let the water evaporate and turn on my ATO. This time water in the return was below sensor and even after adding water it continue to drip water in the return.

1) water level in the return form the tank line is 5inc down

2) Circle in the picture -  Tube is 4inch above the sensor in the return (Yes it makes noise) for not it's fine. If get this to work the way it should be.

3) Reservoir water level max to the surface

I think it is creating syphon (thin dripping) effect since tube is below water level then reservoir. 

image.png.9bc51b4a1f0346e5cee657da1c8737d6.png

4 hours ago, Bmp78 said:

so I let the water evaporate and turn on my ATO. This time water in the return was below sensor and even after adding water it continue to drip water in the return.

1) water level in the return form the tank line is 5inc down

2) Circle in the picture -  Tube is 4inch above the sensor in the return (Yes it makes noise) for not it's fine. If get this to work the way it should be.

3) Reservoir water level max to the surface

I think it is creating syphon (thin dripping) effect since tube is below water level then reservoir. 

image.png.9bc51b4a1f0346e5cee657da1c8737d6.png

When I lift up the tube higher then reservoir water stops dripping. I have to fill in less water in the reservoir.

7 hours ago, Bmp78 said:

When I lift up the tube higher then reservoir water stops dripping. I have to fill in less water in the reservoir.

You don’t want to have a situation that if you accidentally fill the reservoir too high it causes a problem. Design your system to work regardless if you fill the water to the top. If something can go wrong it will. 

I would keep the end of the tube a little higher. You could also have the ATO pump fill the skimmer section instead. Would be less noisy since the water level is higher. You could also aim the end of the tube so the water hits and runs down the glass, or into the filter sock to quiet it down. Just a thought.

On 11/2/2020 at 8:41 PM, WheresTheReef said:

You don’t want to have a situation that if you accidentally fill the reservoir too high it causes a problem. Design your system to work regardless if you fill the water to the top. If something can go wrong it will. 

I would keep the end of the tube a little higher. You could also have the ATO pump fill the skimmer section instead. Would be less noisy since the water level is higher. You could also aim the end of the tube so the water hits and runs down the glass, or into the filter sock to quiet it down. Just a thought.

Thank you for all your suggestions. I did apply the fix you suggested and ATO is functioning as normal.

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Bmp78 said:

@WheresTheReef @ImGoingCoastal @DFR @Mattiejay6

Corals added to the tank..

• blue cespitularia coral/ Blue Xenia
  • Green Star Polyps
  • Frogspawn
  • Long Polyp Devil's Hand
  • rainbow montipora 
  • long polyp leather

@WheresTheReef do I have Actinic light with your setup you made? I'm trying to see color of rainbow montipora but don't see much..

2 hours ago, Bmp78 said:

@WheresTheReef do I have Actinic light with your setup you made? I'm trying to see color of rainbow montipora but don't see much..

I would appreciate some help with coral placement based on my tank design. 

58 minutes ago, Bmp78 said:

I would appreciate some help with coral placement based on my tank design. 

Once you have selected your lights and mounted them. You will need a par meter to get your results at different levels in you tank.

Once you have selected your lights and mounted them. You will need a par meter to get your results at different levels in you tank.

Which you can rent for like $5 (less security deposit) from WAMAS!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk