Red Sea Reefer 900 XXXL

Figured it was time to start a new thread to keep track of the progress on this tank.  I broke down my 250DD last fall in anticipation of a move and transferred my livestock into a rubbermaid 300g until I figured out a new setup and where exactly we were going to end up.

The wall where I decided I wanted a tank at the house is 82" long and it turns out Red Sea released this tank and it is 79".  I was initially thinking of going the custom route but this option was just way too convenient to ignore.  I wanted something longer that also sat up higher than my old marineland tank.  The low stand just sucked. I also wanted this thing to be a quiet as possible and the Red Sea tank fit that bill.

This thing has 3/4" glass and is heavy! I ended up using hydraulic lift carts to get it in position and there were 5 of us to lift it. The tank was then cycled with dry rock, added bacteria and I dosed Dr. Tims  ammonium chloride to feed the bacteria.  I also transferred a ceramic marine block that had been in the old tank and the temp setup when I moved the fish over.  I let the tank cycle for a little over a month without lights.

The fish were moved over two weeks ago and everyone adjusted well.  I am trying to figure out my coral stock list but I really want this tank to be nice and easy.  I am thinking a mix of some LPS, easy SPS (birds nest, montis etc) and a few softies.

Equipment list:

Red Sea Reefer 900 XXXL with stock sump

Ecotech Vectra L2 for the return

Ecotech MP60QD (2)

Ecotech XR15 Blue (4) 

Nyos 220 skimmer (this thing is so quiet)

Kessil H350 over the refugium

Geo 618 Calcium Reactor

Geo Kalk Reactor 

Livestock:

Bali Aquarich Majestic Angel

Yellow Kole Eyed Tang

Breeding pair of Ocellaris clowns

Azure Damsel 

Colins Angel

(7) Bimaculatus Anthias 

IMG_2351.jpeg

IMG_2383.jpeg

IMG_2341.jpg

IMG_2147.jpeg

IMG_2155.jpeg

3D4C863A-E1BA-423D-8603-B00778782A42.jpeg

Edited by Apcoleman
Current status

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

WOWIE ZOWIE!

Dude, following along for this one, well worth the wait to figure out what you were going to do! 

9 hours ago, YHSublime said:

WOWIE ZOWIE!

Dude, following along for this one, well worth the wait to figure out what you were going to do! 

Definitely worth the wait and everything has been moving smoothly. 

the one thing I forgot to mention is I am not running an apex on this tank. I am trying to keep it nice and simple. Im using an Inkbird for the temp control and a Tunze for the ato. I decided to use an IFTTT powered power strip to control the outlets and it has been awesome. 

1 hour ago, tds2264 said:

If I may, what brand power strip have you been using that has been awesome?  Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WGN3X5F/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have two of them.  Four constant power and four controllable outlets.  They integrate right into Google home. Its nice to be able to say "Hey Google, turn off the skimmer" when your hands are wet and in the sump.

• 3 weeks later...

One more question for you! How is the Ink Bird Temp controller working out for you I have seen good and bad?  I did purchase 2 of the IFTTT power strips you suggested, they arrive Saturday. As you noted this is a much more affordable solution than an Apex.  It will replace on old Reef Keeper Lite that not done to bad over all.

Thanks again.

Thanks again for replying on the Ink Bird, i truly do appreciate it. I am in the midst of learning the smart power strip, creating groups, for simply on/off commands,  setting up schedules to mimic a feeding, delay for skimmer to come back on a few minutes after pumps/ph's come back on, the strips seems pretty straight forward to use. 

22 hours ago, tds2264 said:

Thanks again for replying on the Ink Bird, i truly do appreciate it. I am in the midst of learning the smart power strip, creating groups, for simply on/off commands,  setting up schedules to mimic a feeding, delay for skimmer to come back on a few minutes after pumps/ph's come back on, the strips seems pretty straight forward to use. 

You are welcome.  I have been very happy with the decision to use them. I was worried about how I was going to set up dosing, whether that be kalk, two part or a calcium reactor again but I was able to pick up two versa pumps that will be able to handle whatever I end up with an still not need an apex.

I am trying to see just how much I can automate with the surge protector using Tap to Run,  smart automation and scheduling.  Attempting to  turn certain switches off (without using a schedule) have them come back on after a desired amount of time, as if I was to feed. I am not sure it can be done w/o using the scheduling tool, still playing around with it on kitchen table.  Ink Bird comes tomorrow, will play around with that, merge everything in the next couple weeks, remove the RKL.  I like the ability to see real time via the various apps, and the cost!  I use Kamoer X-1 dosing pumps, only visible via blue tooth, which is fine with me.  Todd

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, DFR said:

Nice looking group of angels.  Lately the trend seemed to favor more tangs.  We’re they all in your previous system?

Thanks. I am a huge fan of tangs but I had a yellow tang turn murderous which turned me off. I still want to give one a shot again and would go captive bred through Biota. They are producing a lot of great fish. 

The only one that wasnt in my last tank was the hybrid blueface/majestic. I purchased that one in december so it was in my temporary setup with the rest until this tank was setup. The regal is the boss followed by the majestic then the hybrid. The bellus just keep to there own. My kole eye tang is a model citizen and is always just cruising the tank picking at the rocks. 

• 1 month later...

I have always played with fire by not quarantining  any new additions and it finally caught up to me. I had an ich/velvet outbreak and pulled all the fish and started treating with chloroquine phosphate. I was able to get a script from my vet quickly and I am fortunate that all of my fish are very healthy and have continued to have a good appetite. 

My heart sank as soon as I noticed the symptoms because like most of us in this hobby, I care deeply for the animals I have chosen to put in my care. 

Lesson learned. I blame no one other than myself because without doing something yourself, it is impossible to verify. 

Before anyone asks me, this was not caused by a member or a local vendor. 

• 4 months later...

This update has been a long time coming. I ended up losing 8 of my 14 fish. The Kole eye, Gold Spot Rabbitfish, Bali Majestic, Azure and two clowns ended up surviving the bout. The tank was run fallow for 90 days and the fish went through a CP treatment. Velvet is no joke and moving forward I will QT every fish period. I dont really care where it comes from I will be making sure I never have that happen again. I luckily have plenty of CP left and a few refills for when I add new fish.

The other day I pulled the trigger on a big time wish list fish. Bali Colin's Angelfish. This guy is really tiny and I will be keeping him out of gen pop until he completes QT and can grow a bit.  

IMG_0388.thumb.jpg.2ad8cf9f2d99368afa31c994747b4844.jpgIMG_0389.thumb.jpg.0a1137555c2f37e77d9de67c6f80e8a8.jpg

I hear you on hard lesson learned. I've decided to just not be fancy and stick to clownfish these days. 

Gorgeous angelfish, looking forward to seeing updates! 

14 hours ago, YHSublime said:

I hear you on hard lesson learned. I've decided to just not be fancy and stick to clownfish these days. 

Gorgeous angelfish, looking forward to seeing updates! 

I almost thought about going down a very similar route. 

it will be fun to see this little guy grow. 

Where and what type of CP did you get? I could only source the pills at the time through my vet. I wanted the powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

18 hours ago, Dmb0921 said:

Where and what type of CP did you get? I could only source the pills at the time through my vet. I wanted the powder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vet wrote a script and I got the pills because they were the quickest I could get my hands on. The compounding pharmacy was an option but the delay was days and I needed it asap. 

• 7 months later...

The Colins has settled in very well and is such a cool fish. It does do a little picking at corals but no damage and I still have great polyp extension. 

I have been very slow to add anything else but last week I did add 7 bimacs that I got from Adam at Ocean Devotion. Anthias are a pain to QT and I had no problem letting someone take on that responsibility. He is a humblefish vendor and trust his protocols.

My rabbitfish will need to be rehomed soon. Even though he is the largest fish by far, the majestic has hit major diva mode and just beats him up. Its not pretty and not fair to the fish at all. 

Other plans are to add a multicolor angel, melanarus wrasse in the short term. I am also going to be moving to an automatic calcium reactor shortly because my consumption has taken off and with a baby due next month I am trying to make my life a little easier. Six liters of kalk a day and my calcium reactor going strong are having a hard time keeping my alk stable. 

4A9FB04D-43C5-4E3F-933F-9AB458849B96.jpeg

4B7E59E3-581A-479D-8249-F24966E5C1A4.jpeg

1. Congrats on the baby on the way!

2. How about a FTS, I'd like to see what you're dealing with coral wise/consumption wise! 

3. Great update!

3 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

1. Congrats on the baby on the way!

2. How about a FTS, I'd like to see what you're dealing with coral wise/consumption wise! 

3. Great update!

Thank you sir! Looking forward to lots of bottle feedings in front of the tank haha. 

Ill snap one tomorrow and post up. The bimacs have definitely given a nice splash of color in the water column. 

FTS and the side view when you first see the tank. I still have a few spots where I want to place some corals. Three I am going to be looking for are Red Planet, Hawkins Echinata and Red Dragon and have a few spots in mind. I also have the dome rock on the front left that is bare. There is a test group of zoas and the angels have stayed away from them so I may go for a zoa garden on that. 

87C69AD0-6A36-4327-9469-A7635ABB343E.jpeg

F965D189-33A4-4C9B-8231-A5E229616054.jpeg

WOW. It looks amazing! 

I have a large frag of both Red Planet, and Hawkins for you if we can arrange it. I'm wanting some Red Dragon again as well, my alk swing destroyed it.