Hanna Nitrate Checker

Yachaq

Hi all,

Today I received in the mail the new Hanna LR Nitrate Checker and I thought to share with my experience using it for the first time.

I have used other nitrate tests and have always struggled with the color evaluation of the results. Having a numeric value appealed to me and hence my attempt to use the new checker.

After opening the box it was clear that this was more involved than any of the other Hanna checkers I own. 

5745E629-EDE1-43FE-A031-BCEC0904A47D_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.0764546eb54bc04193f36742aecc1aad.jpeg

The procedure involves several steps. First you mix 7ml of sample water with 4ml of the liquid reagent in a "mixing vial", the you add the first powder reagent. After mixing well you pass the sample through a paper filter attached to the 10ml syringe. The filtered sample gets into a testing vial for the first checker reading (C1). In goes the second powder reagent, more mixing and into the checker (C2). The reading is delayed 8 minutes by the device and at the end a number in ppm is displayed on the checker.

15F11810-A065-47C9-AF51-5C567FAA7BFF_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.74191837484c092be22d449182a83101.jpeg

Here is the same sample measured with Salifert's nitrate test.

6A2CFA17-1215-4582-B80B-D4D9FC538B92_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.cadd2a3ec6933db39f05d6d0680dc209.jpeg

For me, the biggest advantage of this test is the lack of color guessing. On the other hand, this test requires some steps that I have not seen in previous Hanna checkers (e.g. filtering), the need to clean the additional pieces (filter holder, mixing vial, testing vial) and the need to dilute the sample if you expect a value above 5ppm. These are not deal breakers IMO.

Nice to get a numeric value for sure, but I’ll stick with salifert for now.

Salífert is the simplest in my opinion but the Hanna is really not bad once you get past the filter stage. Even then it just probably adds less than 5 minutes (cleaning included) if you compare it with the phosphate checker before the final reading, where you have to wait 8 minutes for the Hanna result to show.

The results were comprable if you don’t mind a big range in your nítrate results with salifert. I could not figure out in the picture above if I had 2 or 5 ppm (not that it matters much in my case).

I see the Hanna being useful if you need a precise control of your nitrates or if you need measurements outside the 0-5 ppm for which you have to dilute the sample.

Thanks for sharing. I’ve been keeping my eye on these but I already dread testing the calcium with my Hanna let alone have to deal with all these steps. Might be good to have as a backup to get a conclusive test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 7/29/2020 at 6:52 AM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

Wow .... i will just stick to not testing nitrate. emoji28.png

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

What's happening in your tank is the test! 

On 7/29/2020 at 11:58 AM, Yachaq said:

Salífert is the simplest in my opinion but the Hanna is really not bad once you get past the filter stage. Even then it just probably adds less than 5 minutes (cleaning included) if you compare it with the phosphate checker before the final reading, where you have to wait 8 minutes for the Hanna result to show.

The results were comprable if you don’t mind a big range in your nítrate results with salifert. I could not figure out in the picture above if I had 2 or 5 ppm (not that it matters much in my case).

I see the Hanna being useful if you need a precise control of your nitrates or if you need measurements outside the 0-5 ppm for which you have to dilute the sample.

salifert reads down to .2 nitrate levels if you look at it from the side

5 minutes ago, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

salifert reads down to .2 nitrate levels if you look at it from the side

It does, but the subtle differences in color between the 2 and 5 squares are an issue (at least for me) at those levels. You can also use the 25 and 50 level comparison if looking at the plastic vial from the side if you expect your nitrate levels are between 2 and 5.

7 minutes ago, GraffitiSpotCorals said:

Yea I am colorblind with certain close colors so I have trouble with some tests too. Salifert updated the colors on them last year or so and it’s easier for me to read now. 

Ah! I was not aware of that change. I will take another look with a newer test kit

I dumped the calcium checker right after I got it because it was a pain in the butt; looks like this one is even more tedious. I like the Salifert kit; nice an simple to use and the results are easy enough for me to read. I don't care if the nitrate is 1, 5, or 10; it makes no difference to the corals. I have wanted to play with the nitrite checker to monitor nitrates though. 

23 hours ago, madweazl said:

I dumped the calcium checker right after I got it because it was a pain in the butt; looks like this one is even more tedious. I like the Salifert kit; nice an simple to use and the results are easy enough for me to read. I don't care if the nitrate is 1, 5, or 10; it makes no difference to the corals. I have wanted to play with the nitrite checker to monitor nitrates though. 

I was frustrated with the prior version of the calcium checker given the small sample volume. Now that they provide the micro pipette its a lot easier for me.  I haven't tried the salifert calcium test yet. It is next in my list.

11 hours ago, Yachaq said:

I was frustrated with the prior version of the calcium checker given the small sample volume. Now that they provide the micro pipette its a lot easier for me.  I haven't tried the salifert calcium test yet. It is next in my list.

Red Sea Pro is my go to for calcium; I have shaky hands and always messed up with the dropper bottle on that step. The Red Sea kit is a little more forgiving in that regard. 

Alk - Hanna (so easy to use)

Ca - Red Sea Pro (most consistent for me)

Mg - AquaForest (always consistent results but Salifert is a close 2nd)

PO4 - Hanna ULR (nothing else compares for the money)

NO3 - Salifert (I'm able to read the low range pretty easy with the Salifert kit)