New to Silver Spring and WAMAS

Hello DMV! 

I started reef keeping around 2 years ago. Still only 1 tank in. I am a chemist in Rockville area. Ive had pretty good luck so far with my 20 gallon mixed reef and wanted to formally join the community. I'll create a thread for my tank soon but here are a couple of pics. Im itching to upgrade to a ~100gal peninsula. Main bains are vermitid and no polyp extension. 

Brice

0601202110.jpg

0601202111c.jpg

0601202110g.jpg

0601202110f.jpg

0601202112b.jpg

Welcome!! Everything looks great, and you're likely to find quite a few of us in STEM-heavy fields. You're in great company!  Let me know if you have questions about our group membership or anything else!

Welcome! very nice nano tank.

Where in SS? I used to lived by Four Corners back in the 80's and 90's. So much has changed in Silver Spring esp. downtown.

10 minutes ago, flooddc said:

Welcome! very nice nano tank.

Where in SS? I used to lived by Four Corners back in the 80's and 90's. So much has changed in Silver Spring esp. downtown.

Technically its layhill south I suppose. We found a nice neighborhood to settle in.

Welcome to the group! Tank looks great, looking forward to your tank build.  You’re also pretty good area as you have 2 nice LFSs about 15mins away.

Welcome!  You'll find this is a great community.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:58 PM, Wags said:

Main bains are vermitid and no polyp extension. 

I would investigate why you don't have polyp extension.  IME this is a sign of a problem that's going to cause your corals to decline.  Some of your corals, like the echinata and red dragon, can have minimal PE.  Corals like your millepora generally have much more PE than your pictures show.

When I see changes in my tank, I always go to water source first. Solves a lot of issue for plenty of people by just making sure your source water is "good". I like to send in my source water with my tank water to ICP every quarter or so just to keep my eyes on it. Good luck and I hope you figure out the problem!

(edited)
On 6/6/2020 at 12:20 PM, lynn.reef.nerd said:

When I see changes in my tank, I always go to water source first. Solves a lot of issue for plenty of people by just making sure your source water is "good". I like to send in my source water with my tank water to ICP every quarter or so just to keep my eyes on it. Good luck and I hope you figure out the problem!

I have consistently good growth. If not for that I would be more worried. I do also have a potters angel. It doesnt puck at the zoas, acan, frogspon, or montipora. Ive never seen it peck at the acro but I'm thinking its the culprit. I'll need to find a nice home for it in the next year if I do not upgrade. Oh and I do see PE at night.

Edited by Wags