Is an Apex Classic worth purchasing

Vacobra1

I'm wanting a bit more control and automation in my tank.  Right now I'm using a couple manual timers to control supplemental lighting and fuge lights that would be nice to get rid of the timers, I also would like to automate my protein skimmer its a pain to have to unplug it and plug it back in when I dose something that requires a 4hr period with out the skimmer, half the time I forget to plug it in, and to set up a feed mode would be nice just to click one button and shut everything off rather then going from pump to pump.    I guess my question is the apex classic worth buying at this point?  I dont really want to put down 500 for a new EL when I doubt Ill ever get a trident anyway.  

I still use one on my 40 breeder and it does everything I need. They are good units and if all you’re looking for is basic control, I’d say go for it. This one controls my t5, heater, dos, kessil (via VDM port) return pump and skimmer. It’s been running for 4 yrs now without a hiccup.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I acquired a second hand classic and love it. It does nearly everything an El will do.

The classic isn't wireless but I just bought a $15 wifi extender and plugged it into that. Plus this wifi extender also has a controllable outlet on it which I connected my webcam to so I can power cycle it.

Worth the investment if you really desire automation.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

I just got the new Apex, have yet to set it up. The apex classic worked great when I had it, also bought that used. I don’t like having to get a WiFi adapter or having to hard wire it, so for me the new one was worth it with built in WiFi.

You might consider just getting a DJ strip. It would be significantly cheaper, and make things easier to turn on and off.

FWIW, everything on my nano either has its own programmable system (lights) or is hooked up to timers.

I was on the fence but ultimately pulled the trigger.  I really like the ability to monitor my tank remotely.  The safety features also give me peace of mind....heartbeat, heater shutoff light shutoff etc....  I would like one for my new tank as well just need to get the $$$$

13 minutes ago, ReefAddict said:

I was on the fence but ultimately pulled the trigger.  I really like the ability to monitor my tank remotely.  The safety features also give me peace of mind....heartbeat, heater shutoff light shutoff etc....  I would like one for my new tank as well just need to get the $$$$

You got the classic or the new one?

The Apex classic is plenty powerful.  I use one Apex classic to run all aspects of my 350 and my frag tank.

You can pick up a complete used Apex classic, DC8, temp probe, and display for around $300.

2 minutes ago, Jon Lazar said:

The Apex classic is plenty powerful.  I use one Apex classic to run all aspects of my 350 and my frag tank.

You can pick up a complete used Apex classic, DC8, temp probe, and display for around $300.

At $300 it seems like you should save a bit more and get an el for 499

You can find classics for under $200 (just have to keep your eyes peeled and act quickly. You can further your cost savings by going with an apex lite. It's essentially a classic but does not have the vdm port and only has one pH/orp port.

I got a used apex classic couple of months ago and set it up couple of weeks ago. I love it. I just had to get new probes and the thing is good as new. Also I believe all their stuff is backwards compatible. I would say if you get one for the right price then go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

You can find classics for under $200 (just have to keep your eyes peeled and act quickly. You can further your cost savings by going with an apex lite. It's essentially a classic but does not have the vdm port and only has one pH/orp port.

What does the vdm port do

1 minute ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

You can use it to adjust 0-10v items like dimmable LEDs.

Does the lite use apex fusion