I hate aiptasia

molcott

well do to my working insane hours and neglecting my tank it has been completely overrun by aiptasia so I think I may pull all the fish out and start a new tank

You can get a matted file fish. It will eat it all and be a lot cheaper then 30 shrimp. 

or depending on what corals you have you can get a butterfly fish. 

A lot of different approach but also best to take out the big ones with kalk/water mix and let the shrimps/fish take care of it too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I may try replacing most of the rock and get some critters to eat the rest

Please don't be deferred by this small issue! Peppermint shrimp will crush your issue, but Leeds is right, get a filefish, it'll munch em up for cheaper. Every prolific infestation just needs time to equal back into goodness. 

If you're interested, I need a CUC from Reef Cleaners again, so happy to let you piggy back if need be!  

How big is the tank?  And how bad is the issue. 

Changing out all your rock cause cause more issues with a mini cycle that could cause even more issues. 

file fish are kool. Great personalities and love to munch on aptasia. 

and they are an inexpensive to boot. 

Edited by epleeds

I've got marine pure blocks in the sump and only replacing a few rocks at a time so shouldn't be too big a deal

Do you have a reef and corals worth saving?  If so, you would do better with biological controls like peppermint shrimp, filefish, and nudis.

If your tank is ready for a reboot, then go ahead and remove the lifestock and replace all the rock.  You'll get rid of most of the aiptasia quickly, but there are sure to be remnants somewhere.  On your corals, in your overflow or sump, inside your plumbing, etc.  They'll return and you'll still need biological controls in the long run to keep them from exploding.  FWIW, I always include an aiptasia-eater when making a livestock list for a new tank.

Replacing rocks will not solve the issue and despite having marine pure blocks, your tank will likely still be thrown off balance.  Depending on the size of tank, and fish and coral stocking, you can choose from a number of biological control.  File fish are fine, but Hey also have an affinity for zoas.  Generally peppermint shrimp would be a safe bet in ‘reef’ systems as most people shy away from fish that eat shrimps.  Nudis are pretty good also, but come at a decent price tag for something that you WON’T see.

To be clear I wasn't replacing all the rock just a couple pieces that were completely covered and I am picking up a filefish today thanks guys