Fish question

Mattb1612

So I’ve had this blue tang for 1 year. He is the bane to my existence. He looks like fish who just stumbled across a mine field. His back tail is eroded and he has like sunken in tummy, however I bought him from reef escape so I don’t think it’s parasite. I think it’s hile. But none of my other tangs look bad and I don’t think I have poor water quality. No signs of excessive algae I have some diatoms nothing crazy. I feed tons or nori brown, red , green and purple I mix up the feedings one sheet a day. I feed mysis in sylcon everyday as well. I don’t know what I’m missing. I know blue tangs can hide in the rocks but I think this is worse.

aad54bca88e2db23d0b9030d5437b540.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It’s difficult to see anything from this photo. Are you running carbon? If it was HLLE and the damage was done prior, it may always look that way.

Is it/has it put in any weight? Do you feed nori? Does it have a chance to eat well, or do you have other more aggressive fish that out compete? Have you been able to see it’s poo color?

I’ll send better pictures tomorrow with the whites on. He just doesn’t grow and has markings. I feed nori once to twice a week along with other variants
of algae. There is a bigger yellow tang however he eats and then leaves once he’s full.

I’ll send better pictures tomorrow with the whites on. He just doesn’t grow and has markings. I feed nori once to twice a week along with other variants
of algae. There is a bigger yellow tang however he eats and then leaves once he’s full.

Do you run carbon?

I run carbon and I have glass heaters.
I ordered a grounding probe. The weird thing is it’s only hippo, the yellow and the purple are fine. I thought maybe parisite but it’s been two years almost.

I believe studies have linked carbon to HLLE, I think there’s a bunch of factors, quality of carbon, skimmer, filter socks, or even mechanical filtration like sponges that can help.

1 hour ago, Mattb1612 said:

Yea I think I’m going with either stray voltage or carbon or both

The problem is carbon fines.  You can add a grounding probe if you like and maybe it will help, but your priority should be the carbon.

The problem is carbon fines.  You can add a grounding probe if you like and maybe it will help, but your priority should be the carbon.

100% this. Especially if your other fish are ok, the issue is probably not stray voltage.

Could he be eating that much if he has a sunken belly? I’d say lack of diet which led to it. Plus fish bullying chomping the tail down, and preventing to eat? I have a very mean gem tang which decided to go after a lyretail and chomped his tail down in minutes. They were together for four months with moderate aggression dived amongst other tank mates. I’m not a fish expert, but would guess combo of diet from lack of eating and stress. I’ve seen the carbon issue, definitely worth a try.

I watch the tank closely and I haven’t seen any bullying maybe the yellow tang possible but the purple tang I have is the size of quarter same size as the blue and he has no issues. I feed pe mysis and rods food everyday with 1 sheet of seaweed. 8acc379730b1b56435ebb3fb54010473.jpg

If he’s been around for almost 2 years, I wouldn’t consider feeding as the issue.   I also wouldn’t point the finger at stress as since they have a thin slime layer would have probably contracted other issues (most commonly I have).  Water quality or carbon particulates could be plausible especially for a younger fish (as he looks to be around 3-4” now).

Do you by chance have a hospital/quarantine tank or even a smaller tank that you could move him into?  If possible I’d move him just to keep a closer eye on him and give more personalized attention.  That way you would be able to make changes without having to worry about disturbing the balance in your main display.  If your current filtration and feeding is working for all the other inhabitants I wouldn’t just start changing things as that could cause more issues.  

Hey DFR, I have contemplated that a lot. The issue is he is only the 2-3 inch and he wedges him self in the worst rock in the world. So its impossible to get him out. On lighter news I did shut off the carbon and placed a grounding probe in the tank and I think it’s helping. I run Marineland carbon and I’ve switched over to chemipure blue. So we shall see. He seems to be improving but only time shall tell. I will give him a month and if he doesn’t improve I will have to take this 30 pound massive rock out and chisels him out I guess. Anyways thank you all for the help.