Needing New Classroom Tank Help

MKaehny

Hi,

My name is Melissa and I’m a science teacher at TJ Middle School in Frederick, MD. I’m setting up a small reef tank to teach my students about ecosystems, biodiversity, symbiotic relationships, and human impact on the environment.  My school is in a low income area where many of the students do not have the opportunity to visit aquariums or travel to destinations where they might get to experience reef habitats. 

I’m setting up an innovative marine Nuvo 10g reef tank. I currently have the tank, pumps, a heater, and rocks.  I am looking for donations of equipment and easy livestock to get the tank started.  I have learned that some corals and fish can be toxic and would need to avoid those species to keep my students safe.

Thanks in advance for any help or advice you can offer. :fish:

Hello Melissa,

If you are willing to take a drive to Glen Burnie, I have some stuff to donate. I have some spare duncans, mushrooms, leathers that are very easy to keep. Just give me a pm whenever you have time! Lucky kids!

That’s great! Might list specific equipment needs. Are you currently cycling the tank, or is it already cycled? I could donate a small rainbow anemone if you decide to do a clownfish. I’m in Gaithersburg, 20879. I would just need a little heads up so I can get one off a rock for you.

(edited)

I will begin cycling the tank in the next few weeks.  I'm still in need of the following equipment:

• Refractometer or hydrometer
  • Salt mix
  • Test kits
  • Lights
  • Auto top off

If you guys don't mind waiting a few weeks, I'd be happy to take you up on the corals and Rainbow Anemone.  Thank you so very much for your help!

Edited by MKaehny

Ok LMK when you're ready.

If it were me, I would begin cycling the rocks ASAP. It can take weeks to establish your biological filter. You could put the rocks into a bucket with a heater and powerhead. Then add a source of ammonia (e.g some fish food). I've used a piece of raw shrimp, but boy does it smell. My go-to these days is some ammonia drops I got from Dr Tim's. I add about 2ppm of ammonia and just let it do its thing. I use API testkits to monitor the ammonia and nitrite. You will then just need to add top off water occasionally. You could speed up a cycle by adding in a piece of "live" rock to seed the beneficial bacteria.

2 hours ago, WheresTheReef said:

Ok LMK when you're ready.

If it were me, I would begin cycling the rocks ASAP. It can take weeks to establish your biological filter. You could put the rocks into a bucket with a heater and powerhead. Then add a source of ammonia (e.g some fish food). I've used a piece of raw shrimp, but boy does it smell. My go-to these days is some ammonia drops I got from Dr Tim's. I add about 2ppm of ammonia and just let it do its thing. I use API testkits to monitor the ammonia and nitrite. You will then just need to add top off water occasionally. You could speed up a cycle by adding in a piece of "live" rock to seed the beneficial bacteria.

I will get that started this week! I am getting a piece of live rock too. I appreciate your help and guidance. 

Melissa,

WAMAS has a dedicated School donation thread under the For Sale section.  I posted something on there and have been able to get almost everything I need to setup a tank at my daughter's school.  Also, WAMAS has a grant program.  I have not applied for the program, but @Reef eScape can probably provide more information than I can.  Good luck!

Fredy  

Hi Melissa, a 10 gallon tank is harder to maintain in a classroom environment than a larger tank but if you already have the tank let us know how we can help.  We don't have any equipment right now that would be usable on a system as small as yours but if we come across anything we can help you out.  From a husbandry point of view, I would probably avoid an anemone is such a small tank unless you have a good light to go over it.  They tend to be more finicky and on the other hand can grow to be quite large if they are thriving and choke out your other corals.

8 hours ago, MaeganWink said:

If you wanted a bigger tank, I have two spare 55 gallon tanks with hang on the back filters that were used for saltwater.  @MKaehny

Maegan, I'd love to take you up on one of the spare tanks!  I wouldn't be able to come to VA until next weekend, though.