40g breeder overflow box or upgrade

Whitewillsmiff

So I'll preface this with yes I should have drilled this tank from the get go, lessons learned.

I've got a 40g breeder/20g long sump with an eshopps HOB overflow box. Have been strongly considering taking the tank down temporarily to drill it for a dedicated overflow as I had a drainage issue during a recent water change. Last thing I need after a recent 2nd floor leak would be another spillage due to the overflow failing. There are tons of options out there for this so was curious about any recommendations to go with.

Also toying with the idea of going to a bigger tank if I was going to go through the hassle of breaking down the tank. In your opinion would it be simpler to go with a pre drilled reef ready tank? If so what size would be reasonable to go to? Trying to repurpose using my existing below equipment to reduce upfront cost (ha). 

Reef Octopus 110 INT skimmer

(2) AI Prime HD 16

Sycce silent 2.0 pump

(2) Jaebo SOW 8'S

What size would you upgrade to?

If I recall you just recently set up the tank right?

What are you planning to stock?

Usually when you go larger you also go deeper and I'm not sure how those primes will hold up on something deeper.

If the tank just cycled, or is about to, I vote take it down and do it right.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Second vote for "take it down and do it right". 

8 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

What size would you upgrade to?

If I recall you just recently set up the tank right?

What are you planning to stock?

Usually when you go larger you also go deeper and I'm not sure how those primes will hold up on something deeper.

If the tank just cycled, or is about to, I vote take it down and do it right.

The tank just turned 2 months old and I made pretty much every rookie mistake, "I don't need a sump, I don't need to drill it, I'll only want a couple corals.. etc."

I've got two clowns, a bi-color blenny, cleaner shrimp and some snails, one frogspawn, candy cane and several other small ones. Was considering making the jump to a 90g or 120g so I could get some of the larger fish, i.e. tangs, angels, just haven't found any used setups within my range. I was concerned also about the lights after watching the BRS PAR review of them, would probably have to sell them off to buy one of the larger black box lights. 

Thanks for letting me ramble, anyone got an overflow box recommendations for the tank in the interim? I can't let that current overflow stay in place, super nervous about that siphon pipe getting nudged and an overflow going down. Was looking at the eshopps medium series but seeing if there's something better or useful. 

For what it's worth, I'm contemplating changing mine over to an e-shopps overflow but my glass-holes overflow is chugging along. Maybe if the noise really starts getting to me I'll switch it.

The 75 has a decent footprint and can be scooped up during a Petco $1 a gallon sale for $150 I believe. But going bigger means bigger skimmer, more rock, more salt, etc. Maybe just keep what you have and focus on making it the best you can. Then you can save up for whatever setup you truly want when you gain some more experience?

How about get a new 40B on Petco sale, drill it and use it as the display? Make a sump out of the old display. That way; you'll solve the overflow issues, can keep using all current equipment, and have larger water volume for more (not bigger) livestock and better stability. 

I'm all for the acquisition of a larger tank to be able to keep tangs, because eventually, you'll want them and regret not having a bigger tank. The 120 would be better than the 90. A standard 90 is basically a tall 75.

Good info and thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for the $1 gallon sale so I can drill/prep a second tank before transferring, regardless it needs to happen. I'll keep scouring the FS section for someone selling at least a 120 gallon tank. Appreciate the help!

Rob

3 hours ago, Whitewillsmiff said:

Good info and thanks! I'll keep my eyes open for the $1 gallon sale so I can drill/prep a second tank before transferring, regardless it needs to happen. I'll keep scouring the FS section for someone selling at least a 120 gallon tank. Appreciate the help!

Rob

IIRC people are selling tanks all the time.  Check out craigslist too; often great deals can be had there and you can drill an overflow.   

What happened with the overflow?   I ask because I'm contemplating a HOB as well.    :blink:  Not knowing what happened, it seems to me that once you get down past the teeth (for argument's sake the top 2 inches, or about 5 gallons on a 40B) it should stop flowing?    How is a drilled in overflow safer?

Thanks!

HOB (Hang on Back) overflows pull water out of the tank.... They require a suction to get started and continue to pull water via the Venturi effect.

Drilled overflows are a lot less needy. As water comes into your tank via the return pump, the water rises over the edge of the overflow box and due to gravity literally falls back into the sump.

12 hours ago, Whitewillsmiff said:

Rob

You might try calling Capital Aquarium, Reef Escape, Blue Ribbon Koi, or other fish places that do maintenance.  Often they have used tanks they'd part with for a reasonable price to make up the space.  

Also, TheyCallMeMr.703 had some used 120 gallon tanks he was selling, I think.  He comes and goes from the forums, but you could search up his posts and contact him.  Might get a bargain if you're willing to do a bit of cleanup on it.

Some of the 75g tanks from Petco are tempered, and those can't be drilled. They are not always marked as tempered, so you would have to take an lcd screen and polarized glasses with you to the store to test them.