1bites IM 40ext SPS dominate

After getting into the hobby about 3 years ago and having several tanks from, Red Sea Reefer 250 to a 350. Then downsizing to a nuvo 20 while we remodeled the basement. It is finally done and I am back with a Nuvo 40EXT. I’ve kept tanks with tons of LPS and soft corals and the plan to go SPS dominate on this tank. This will be my first time keeping SPS. This will also be my first refugium. I’m hoping to use this build thread as a way to get help on the venture to sticks.

Equipment List:
-40EXT
-DIY stand
-MP10
-Apex
-Cor20
-Kessil a360we supplemented with an aquatic life t5 hybrid
-Trigger 20C sapphire
-Neptune Dos
-20lbs Life rock branch
-20lbs Life rock
-Tropic Eden sand
-Neptune Trident (whenever I can find one)
-Deltec 1351 skimmer 

The plan is to take this tank very slow. Start the refugium once the tank has some nutrients, And go about 3 months with just the 2 Clowns I have in Quarantine until I see some coralline algae and the tank feels like it is starting to become sustainable enough to add Sticks

Actually just picked one up

You won’t regret it. My 22 nano needed 2 just to keep the sps happy, I imagine your size tank will benefit as well!

• 2 weeks later...

Just built the stand today, had to build the stand 2” deeper to fit the trigger sump for the tank. Used the technique we used when painting our cabinets to use spackle on the wood to cover up the grain. The plan was to make an ADA style stand where besides the door it looks like one piece. Going to primer and paint tomorrow. Will look to make equipment cabinet to match but smaller next weekend. 

62B54210-EF4D-46EC-B71A-AD11C409F7C5.jpeg

A356B9BA-CB58-4513-B642-CF4333F220AA.jpeg

Painted the stand and put the tank in place with the sump in stand. Super happy with how it turned out. Plumbing comes Tuesday. More research and work to be done. As well as build equipment cabinet for Apex. Hope to have it wet in 2-3 weeks.

FCFC9BA5-C13E-4046-A598-257C13D9BCC3.jpeg

40979988-0187-4BB9-AF8B-443A69D19964.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

Nice Craftsmanship on the stand!  I'm actually in need of building an equipment cabinet for my new tank...probably ought to get the build thread started since the tank is already cycling.

On 2/25/2020 at 4:22 PM, elwallacejr said:

Nice Craftsmanship on the stand!  I'm actually in need of building an equipment cabinet for my new tank...probably ought to get the build thread started since the tank is already cycling.

I just finished up my equipment cabinet, will post pictures this weekend when I paint it.

Little update, the equipment cabinet is finished, tank was plumb. But then when I wet tested I realized that the back glass had a crack. You could not tell since the inside back has a piece of acrylic and the the back glass is cover with black vinyl. Good thing is Marine Depot is mailing me a new one. Also I put plenty of unions so should be able to replumb the pieces that are short directly from the bulkheads. Hope to have it wet and put together in another week

Little update, the equipment cabinet is finished, tank was plumb. But then when I wet tested I realized that the back glass had a crack. You could not tell since the inside back has a piece of acrylic and the the back glass is cover with black vinyl. Good thing is Marine Depot is mailing me a new one. Also I put plenty of unions so should be able to replumb the pieces that are short directly from the bulkheads. Hope to have it wet and put together in another week

Bummer! Good attitude though, glad it’s getting taken care of.

• 3 weeks later...

A little update, New tank is here and wet, Controller cabinet is finished. I’ll take some pictures of the sump area to show you guys tomorrow, happy with how everything turned out. The plan now is to order some more fish and let tank settle and cycle over the next 2-3 months before adding some test corals. 

053818A1-B479-4A7D-B64F-FF8CD1BDC7A2.jpeg

895F2652-A55D-4945-A202-D87DA4BEEA57.jpeg

0736C8D4-B651-48FA-A573-F99FDD2706BA.jpeg

31 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

That's an interesting scape! For some reason, I think of the game of thrones when I look at it.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks bud, yeah it was a mix Branco rock and regular life rock. I wanted to add some ledges to mount some sticks. 

Took some more pictures of the tank, sump, and Apex cabinet. Right now the skimmer is going crazy. I heard that sometimes the life rock tends to do this to the skimmer. Going to let it run a couple days over flowing and do some water changes through the skimmer. Any ideas, would be appreciated. Now just in the sit and wait phase of the tank. Plan to not run lights for at least next month or 2 and run it with just fish until coralline starts to grow. 

question I have is when I should put the Fuge on line? 

66037B49-483F-4EFF-B519-EBD23A019DD8.jpeg

C8F64FC4-44F7-4394-ADE3-9A859E876A3C.jpeg

33726E67-C916-4355-ABAC-22D136604B26.jpeg

B42C443D-8E28-4101-96DC-39DA25A16A47.jpeg

Nice and clean. I like it :)

the life rock does make the skimmer go nuts. I had to raise mine 4” to keep it from overflowing and it took about a month to go down. That was only 5 pieces in a 300 gallon system. So either raise the skimmer or shut it off and let the cycle happen. 

45 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

I wouldn't waste the money ordering chaeto from Algae Barn.  You don't get much for how expensive they are.

Where do you recommend? I was gonna get the fuge deal with the pods too