Getty salty again

I'm fairly new to the area, and finally getting back into the hobby after a 10 year hiatus.  I moved here almost 2 years ago, but haven't had a tank set up since 2010 when  I lived in the Pacific Northwest.  I had sold all my equipment and large tanks years ago, but kept this 5g pico and rock.  It was like opening a time capsule!    I did learn that no test kits don't last that long! lol  I had about 10 brand new never opened sailfert kits, but none were any good haha.  I just set this guy up last week, so I'm hoping to be able to add my first addition by the first week of march, depending on the end of the cycle.  I go slow, probably too slow for my wife a kids...  I've never had a tank with my wife, so i'm not sure she realizes what she agreed to by saying I could set up the tank :D

I'm planning on making this mostly softies, maybe a single LPS, with two fish max.  I have a 5 stage RODI (with all brand new pre-filters and membrane) unit that will supply the auto top off.

I decided to start my cycle old school, with a raw shrimp.  yes, I know it will take longer, and I'm ok with that :)

I'm located in South Stafford, so it appears that I'm about an hour away from any LFS either north or South.  I'm trying to find out what LFS is going to be worth the drive.  What I'm mainly interested in are small non-designer common frags.  I'm not looking for rare expensive colors at this point.  Or are there members closer that regularly sell $5-$15 frags? 

20200129_224351.jpg

Welcome. There are a few LFS in the Manassas area. Capital aquarium and Blue Ribbon Koi. As for cheap frags, there are a lot of members on the forum that regularly sell $5-$10 Frags and some of us even give away frags all the time :)  

Welcome! That looks an old fishneedit fixture I used to have!

And I can relate about the wife not knowing what she's getting into.... I met my wife on Guam where I didn't have a tank, and didn't really need one. Fast forward three years and she's now finding out how much I obsess over this hobby!

Theres a decent LFS in Springfield too, Quantum Reefs.

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

Welcome! I'll be waiting for you to upgrade the size of your tank. 

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome.  I'm finally cycled and ready for Color :D

On 1/31/2020 at 1:38 PM, ImGoingCoastal said:

Welcome! That looks an old fishneedit fixture I used to have!

My Tank is a CAD lights aquarium, about 6.5 gallons

20200229_210455.jpg

I love this tank too, only thing that sticks its that i have to replace the lights since no one makes T5's for it anymore :(

im looking for small frags of common corals to grow out,  not really designer/ expensive kinds.   Really like to find a small single head hammer, pulsing zenia, some hairy shrooms, zoas....open to lots.   I did just get a couple monti's,  clown, and 2 snails.... but otherwise im empty...

@lynn.reef.nerd, thanks!  it's on my calendar now.  I can actually make it to the fragfest since its on a sunday! I started a pay it forward frag swap in a seattle reef club back in 2008.  Sounds like a similar concept.  We bought a ton of corals and fragged them for everyone that attended.   I'm so glad to to see this part of the hobby alive and well all the way across the country.  

Are you still looking to replace the t5s?

I may be parting with an AI Prime that I think would be perfect for your tank and be pretty affordable.

You could come grab a new light and some coral at the same time (I live near novareef)

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk