Cleaning SW Storage Tanks

elwallacejr

Hi Wamas,

I just recently purchased a used SW mixing station and wanted to clean out the brown deposits on the SW storage tank. I broke out my 1800 psi pressure washer and that knocked a lot of it out but there’s still a good amount left over. Does anybody have a good recipe for bringing these storage tanks back to almost new wrt removing practically all of the brown deposits?

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by elwallacejr

Muriatic acid (pool acid) makes quick work of it, but the acid is nasty stuff and can give off caustic fumes when you add it to water.  

I also use it to clean pumps and other things that get crusty.

in that light

white vinegar will do the same thing. i use it 1:1 to clean my pumps

Thanks for the feedback.  I'll have to be creative on how to clean a 55g tank with a 1:1 vinegar solution but I have some ideas.  I'll post pics when I'm done.

5 hours ago, Jon Lazar said:

Muriatic acid (pool acid) makes quick work of it, but the acid is nasty stuff and can give off caustic fumes when you add it to water.  

I also use it to clean pumps and other things that get crusty.

+1 for the use of muriatic acid.

When I bought 150g vessel, it was used and was stained brown inside. Muriatic was the only thing that would do the job and do it efficiently. I mixed up 2gal of a 5% solution and then used a stiff brush and a bit of soaking to get it looking like new.

Just remember, if you use acid it is best to do the work outside.