Anyone here have only captive bred?

treesprite

I am just curious if there is anyone here who only has captive bred fish, what the combinations are, and where the livestock was purchased.

I'm wondering who sells fish that has a dedicated captive bred system, since the secondary reason for wanting captive bred is to avoid diseases brought in by wild caught fish. Apparently Dr Mac has only captive bred and has Biota yellow tangs, but variety for other species is an issue. 

The only 2 fish I have currently were captive bred, but they were mixed with wild caught fish in the store, which is kind of a shame because I have to be less certain about what might be in my tank. 

I was just at Capital Aquarium yesterday, and they had a pretty diverse collection of CB and CR fish. I was floored to even see CB fairy wrasses.

6 hours ago, ReefdUp said:

I was just at Capital Aquarium yesterday, and they had a pretty diverse collection of CB and CR fish. I was floored to even see CB fairy wrasses.

Do you know if they were in a separate system from the other fish?

We usually have a good variety of captive bred fish but they are mixed in with the wild caught fish in our systems.   However everyone goes through medicated quarantine.   Certain things could get through but if we notice it we will treat with whatever additional treatment necessary.   If you still want fish who are captive bred with no wild fish contact we could line it up for you to pick the fish up when they come in, still in bag.  They could be stressed from shipping though, and captive breeding facilities aren't incapable of contracting disease. 

I only keep captive-bred fish. With the exception of some clownfish I got locally, I have purchased from LA Diver's Den, Dr. Mac, Algae Barn, and Seahorse Savvy. I'm not sure about LA, but the rest seem to be dedicated CB systems. I haven't had any problems with disease at all.

I could be wrong, but I am extremely skeptical that there are CB fairy wrasses available anywhere. According to the 2019 Coral magazine list of CB species, none of the Cirrhilabrus genus have been captive-bred to date.

I actually think I saw something about a captive bred fairy wrasses the other day, but since I wasn't looking for wrasses, I didn't bother remembering the info. 

6 hours ago, Reef eScape said:

We usually have a good variety of captive bred fish but they are mixed in with the wild caught fish in our systems.   However everyone goes through medicated quarantine.   Certain things could get through but if we notice it we will treat with whatever additional treatment necessary.   If you still want fish who are captive bred with no wild fish contact we could line it up for you to pick the fish up when they come in, still in bag.  They could be stressed from shipping though, and captive breeding facilities aren't incapable of contracting disease. 

Given your treatment, your system would be okay.

I'll be looking to get fish in about a month or so. Dr Mac has the tangs but nothing to meet my blue requirement, 

and I'd prefer getting the fish at the same time. I wish I could get a CB cherub angel for my blue, but no one is producing them. All I have right now are a shy orchid dottyback who is mostly out of view, and a striped blenny who owns and patrols every inch of the water column, and I think watches me constantly through the glass.

By blue requirement you mean a fish that is blue we can usually get sapphire damsels which aren't as mean as damsels usually are, yellowtail damsels, blue devil damsel, and blue mandarins(come in super tiny).   Haven't seen the cherub angels for awhile, though we have gotten coral beauties.  

1 hour ago, Reef eScape said:

By blue requirement you mean a fish that is blue we can usually get sapphire damsels which aren't as mean as damsels usually are, yellowtail damsels, blue devil damsel, and blue mandarins(come in super tiny).   Haven't seen the cherub angels for awhile, though we have gotten coral beauties.  

2nd the sapphire damsels. Mine is probably my most passive fish. Got it from Reef eScape well over a year ago. Very nice blue color and eats everything. Wish I wouldve done a few of them.  

3 hours ago, smokythemattman@gmail.com said:

2nd the sapphire damsels. Mine is probably my most passive fish. Got it from Reef eScape well over a year ago. Very nice blue color and eats everything. Wish I wouldve done a few of them.  

I was thinking the sapphire damsels, but the 2019 list made me think they would be much harder to get than others. I'm not sure how many I would want, maybe 3.

One of the things about CB is that people don't have to be so worried about initial losses that they buy a couple extra fish to make sure they still have a certain number when those almost expected losses happen. If people know they will have initial losses, they shouldn't be purchasing those WC species of fish.

It it possible to get useful captive bred snails, hermits, and serpent stars?

Im not sure that anyone is actively selling captive bred inverts.   There are some that do reproduce in aquariums but I think they are still easier to catch than breed.   I've seen baby trochus and turbo snails in our tanks.   Some of the shrimp can be bred but again its more work to do that.  

2 hours ago, Reef eScape said:

Im not sure that anyone is actively selling captive bred inverts.   There are some that do reproduce in aquariums but I think they are still easier to catch than breed.   I've seen baby trochus and turbo snails in our tanks.   Some of the shrimp can be bred but again its more work to do that.  

Apparently the livestock sold at the linked website is captive bred. Given the pricing of it, it ought to be.

Algae barn also has CB inverts, but they are only sporadically available. I have their CB urchins and peppermint shrimp.  I would get their CB snails, but they are only occasionally available.

I'll clarify that the fairy wrasses you saw were our captive-raised Pennant (Blue & Red) fairy wrasses from Sustainable Aquatics--not captive-bred, but close. Also, we've been keeping all our captive bred/raised and wild-caught fish in separate systems for a couple months now (as well as quarantining our WC fish) and it's been very successful so far. We've gotten a few instances of captive-bred inverts, but they do seem to be fairly rare still. 

Are those wrasses a "Sustainable Islands" (AKA SI) product or a "Sustainable Aquatics" (AKA SA) product? Sustainable Aquatics markets sustainably caught wild fish as "Sustainable Islands". As far as I know, those aren't considered or marketed as "captive-raised". On their website, they don't have any wrasses listed under SA, but do have some wrasses listed under SI. 

Edit: Upon further investigation, it seems that the SI fish probably can be considered tank-raised. Although the SA website refers to SI fish as wild-caught, they are collected at larval stage or just post-settlement, which can reasonably be considered "tank-raised".

Edit again: Upon even more investigation I'm again skeptical about whether these SI fish can be credibly considered tank-raised. There are a number of rather large fish on the SI list and I think that is a bit suspicious. For example, I don't think believe that they raised a Naso tang from post-settlement size (probably ~1") to a size of 8-12". I'm not sure how many of these SI fish are much different from the typical wild-caught fish.

Edited by ScooterTDI

• 1 month later...

Are there currently captive bred firefish available? I kind of don't think so, but have wishful thinking. I'd like to have a group like I used to have, but if they are only wild, I won't do it.

If there aren't, does anyone have a suggestion for a group of a small captive bred species that isn't going to cost a fortune when an entire group is purchased?