Seth's Next Reefkeeping Chapter

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is coming together real nice! Can’t wait to see what you do with the scape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, YHSublime said:

This is coming together real nice! Can’t wait to see what you do with the scape!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yah its going to take a bit for me to buckle down and decide on what to do for the rock stack.  I need to swap the blade on my miter saw to my concrete blade so i can cut a few of the pieces I have flat.

Couple of question for your Seth,

1. The PVC liner in the sump. I noticed it was stapled. Are you worried about the staples rusting with the salt water? Could you use clue instead? Or then treat the staple with some kind of anti-rust agent?

Also, have you consider making the lip at the bottom of the stand higher (say 1-2 inches) and sealing it in so that if water ever hits the liner it will be trapped in and not hit the floor.  The way it looks now is that the water will simply run off onto the floor.

2. How high is the canopy? It looks like it is about 2feet high? Why so high? I reckon you will hang the lights about 7-10 inches over the water, No?

10 minutes ago, menglish said:

Couple of question for your Seth,

1. The PVC liner in the sump. I noticed it was stapled. Are you worried about the staples rusting with the salt water? Could you use clue instead? Or then treat the staple with some kind of anti-rust agent?

Also, have you consider making the lip at the bottom of the stand higher (say 1-2 inches) and sealing it in so that if water ever hits the liner it will be trapped in and not hit the floor.  The way it looks now is that the water will simply run off onto the floor.

2. How high is the canopy? It looks like it is about 2feet high? Why so high? I reckon you will hang the lights about 7-10 inches over the water, No?

So its siliconed under the bottom so even if the staples rust out there silicone is still sealing where the staples are.   I could have made it bigger But I am going to be using the LDS from Apex to turn off the pumps and email me if the puddle gets to far so should not be an issue.

The Canopy is 20" tall.  I made it that tall because of the tank size. I am going to have to be able to get my whole upper body through it to be able to reach back in the corner.  And I don't want to have to completely remove the lights from inside the hood to be able to reach in there.

32 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

So its siliconed under the bottom so even if the staples rust out there silicone is still sealing where the staples are.   I could have made it bigger But I am going to be using the LDS from Apex to turn off the pumps and email me if the puddle gets to far so should not be an issue.

The Canopy is 20" tall.  I made it that tall because of the tank size. I am going to have to be able to get my whole upper body through it to be able to reach back in the corner.  And I don't want to have to completely remove the lights from inside the hood to be able to reach in there.

Nice,

the build is looking really good.

It is nice that you are thinking about all this before.

6 minutes ago, menglish said:

Nice,

the build is looking really good.

It is nice that you are thinking about all this before.

yup with all the tanks in the past, I have learned the hard way more times than I can count. 

Tank is coming along nice!!   I had same problem with  Eheim Jaager Heaters-- they were too long for my sump and I had limited space.

Can't wait to see rocks/water in there.

35 minutes ago, VA Reefdog said:

Tank is coming along nice!!   I had same problem with  Eheim Jaager Heaters-- they were too long for my sump and I had limited space.

Can't wait to see rocks/water in there.

Yah its a bummer they are so big. But I am hard pressed to find a more reliable heater.  

I am hoping to have the stand shell built this weekend so hopefully should be getting wet next weekend.

7 hours ago, VA Reefdog said:

I like the rockscape- lots room for coral and plenty of caves/pass-throughs for fish.  Looking good.

Thanks!  Yah the rock stack is hard to get pictures of ?