Seth's Next Reefkeeping Chapter

On 1/26/2020 at 9:02 AM, sethsolomon said:

Also did some rock cutting.

IMG_20200125_182904.jpg

IMG_20200125_182918.jpg

Seth

What kind of blade did you use?  I was thinking of cutting a couple of my rocks, but my BF made me hesitate on the account of ruining my saw or saw blade.  

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(edited)
5 minutes ago, TrueTricia said:

Seth

What kind of blade did you use?  I was thinking of cutting a couple of my rocks, but my BF made me hesitate on the account of ruining my saw or saw blade.  

I used a masonry blade.  Make sure you have good air circulation or outside on a breezy day.  It makes a huge dust storm.

But it does cut through the rock like butter.

Here is a link to the blade:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-12-in-x-1-8-in-x-1-in-Masonry-High-Speed-Cut-Off-Disc-DBD120125A01C/202831050   Make sure the blade has the same arbor as your saw.  

Edited by sethsolomon

2 minutes ago, sethsolomon said:

I used a masonry blade.  Make sure you have good air circulation or outside on a breezy day.  It makes a huge dust storm.

But it does cut through the rock like butter.

Here is a link to the blade:  https://www.homedepot.com/p/Diablo-12-in-x-1-8-in-x-1-in-Masonry-High-Speed-Cut-Off-Disc-DBD120125A01C/202831050   Make sure the blade has the same arbor as your saw.  

Thank you!!!

Scape looks good, you think you can get flow around it/through it? My favorite part of the video is the music.

2 hours ago, YHSublime said:

Scape looks good, you think you can get flow around it/through it? My favorite part of the video is the music.

Yah i think so.   HAHAHAHA gotta love that pre supplied youtube music

What is the metal framing you're using to hold everything together up top?

2 minutes ago, YHSublime said:

What is the metal framing you're using to hold everything together up top?

The light fixture?  That's the Aquatic life t5 LED retro. I got the 24" wide brackets for it so I can fit the radions lengthwise.  Then I picked up some stainless steel T brackets from home depot to mount the moonlights on.

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

Cute pup! Congrats!

Is your return going through a wall or canopy?

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

it's through the canopy.  I have it unioned so I can easily remove it.

And got sand and some of the rock in the tank.  Gonna be a few days to make enough RO to fill the tank.  

If anyone in the Sterling area has a bunch of RO/do water already made and would like to help fill the tank, I could really use the help. Currently only making about 5 gallons per day due to my work schedule.

IMG_20200221_153726.thumb.jpg.81afef9980e18de64310689efed3c382.jpgIMG_20200221_153718.thumb.jpg.45ab124776aacdb86200dd8385702891.jpg

Just now, YHSublime said:

What’s the plan for the mini tank under the big one?

It's going to be a remote refugium as well as a place I can bring in leopard wrasses to observe them to make sure they are eating prepared foods.  So with it being a refugium, it will have a heavy dedicated pod population.  This gives me a buffer zone to get finicky wrasses eating. They can eat pods until they are comfortable with frozen food.

This is a good option for both leopards and anampseese wrasses 

It's going to be a remote refugium as well as a place I can bring in leopard wrasses to observe them to make sure they are eating prepared foods.  So with it being a refugium, it will have a heavy dedicated pod population.  This gives me a buffer zone to get finicky wrasses eating. They can eat pods until they are comfortable with frozen food.

This is a good option for both leopards and anampseese wrasses 

Nice! Good plan!

Love the way the design is coming together,

Be mindful of those kink in the reactor tubing, especially if they will be run external to the sump. You may want to consider a braided tubing. Those will not kink.

Alternatively, you may want to elevate them a bit more to get rid of the kink, like you did for the 10g tank

Also,

do you have a way to easily remove the return pump if you have to swap it out?

I did not noticed any unions around it.  Also, instead of using hard PVC on the return, you can use soft silicone tubing coming off the pump. This will reduce any vibrations and noise coming off the return pump

21 minutes ago, menglish said:

Love the way the design is coming together,

Be mindful of those kink in the reactor tubing, especially if they will be run external to the sump. You may want to consider a braided tubing. Those will not kink.

Alternatively, you may want to elevate them a bit more to get rid of the kink, like you did for the 10g tank

Yah I plan on completely replacing the fittings and tubing on that reactor.

18 minutes ago, menglish said:

Also,

do you have a way to easily remove the return pump if you have to swap it out?

I did not noticed any unions around it.  Also, instead of using hard PVC on the return, you can use soft silicone tubing coming off the pump. This will reduce any vibrations and noise coming off the return pump

there is a union on the pump.  I don't like using silicone tubing on return pumps.  I have had too many times the tubing coming loose.  the pump is actually floating and hanging on the plumbing so its not actually touching the sump.