Siphon-break hole too high

treesprite

The siphon-break hole in my Sea Swirl output is too high, so a stream of water is kind of spurting out above the surface of the water, causing spray and bubbles, and making the only water noise I can hear (because of better overflow setup - I'm so happy!). It wasn't too high in use in the 50g, because that tank had the water level scarily close  to the top of the rim. I didn't want the water that high in this tank for which I had the option of putting my overflow lower, so my water level is just above the bottom of the trim so I can't see it, but there is an inch of room so water isn't going to go on the floor if a snail sits over a single gap between  2 overflow teeth.

So, what do I do about it? I have enough space in the sump to take up what looks like would be about 5g of back-siphon water should I decide to block that little hole. There isn't really anywhere else to drill a hole lower, since that would just be where the water comes out. I don't feel like putting a longer fitting on the SS just to be able to drill a little back siphon hole a quarter of an inch lower.

Edited by treesprite

How far under the surface of the water is the hole? Without seeing the issue, a guess at a solution would be to place a small hood over the spout that would diffuse the water spout before it made it to the surface.
A picture of what you are seeing and what is happening would be helpful.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

11 hours ago, tom39 said:

How far under the surface of the water is the hole? Without seeing the issue, a guess at a solution would be to place a small hood over the spout that would diffuse the water spout before it made it to the surface.
A picture of what you are seeing and what is happening would be helpful.

Tom

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

The hole is precisely at but above the waterline. 

I used to zip tie a small piece of open cell foam over the hole and it silenced the stream without blocking the siphon break.

5 hours ago, Origami said:

I used to zip tie a small piece of open cell foam over the hole and it silenced the stream without blocking the siphon break.

Great idea, I'll give it a try.

Edited by treesprite