Downward growing birdsnest?

Still_human

My 2 seriatopora frags are both doing and growing great, however they're both growing DOWN! Polyps fully extended and all, they look totally healthy, and getting good growth, it's just downwards. Has anyone heard of this before? One is only slightly, but my ponape frag looks exactly like a saggy branched pine tree!

Just now, epleeds said:

How are the powerhead/returns positioned?  Sometime if the flow is downward, that’s how the coral grows.  

There's gentle indirect flow on it, at most

I tried to take a picture, but it was too big, and now my broken phone won't let me take any pictures at all. I'll try to get one later tonight.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/4/2019 at 9:18 PM, bues0022 said:

Haha! I love the paint picture! 

Why thank you lol. Now u can see how picture perfect it is!

This is the other birds nest frag I have(just a few inches from the other), and as u can see its SLIIIIIIIIIIIGHTLY branching downwards, but not enough to really even have a second thought about it if not for the other one.

5C497CF6-FCAD-4EEA-9E4A-971574BAA6F6.jpeg

I guess it could be too much light, but nothing else is showing any signs of heavy light exposure. The ponape(the one in question)doesn’t even have great coloring, but not faded/bleaching either. Wouldn’t it have either great color, or be fading if it was so much light that it had to grow downwards? I think I can safely say it definitely isn’t from too much current(hmmm....that doesn’t make sense, does it? I THINK I can DEFINITELY say? Lol), cause there’s very little current in the tank—I’m going to step it up when I overhaul it. It IS in the direct flow of the sump return, but its so far from being heavy that the zoas in between it and the flow, don’t get blown hard, and you can see the grandis just gently leaning, not being forced over

Oh yeah, duh, I forgot the most obvious sign....the downward growth is completely contrary to the direction of the flow. If it was the flow, I’d imagine it would grow in the same direction as the flow, right?