Live Rock Disintegration?

CallMeJus

Hey everyone, so I was blowing off my rocks today and noticed an area that seemed to have what looked like an abnormal area of detritus so I used my finger and the rock literally started disintegrating! My finger went right through the rock and I picked out a clump of grey matter. It did a number on the visual water quality (more than normal). As you can see in the photo it looks like a “channel” where my finger went in. 

WHAT IS GOING ON?! 

Mill be doing a 30% water change tomorrow just in case. 

600B37E7-8A7A-4CE7-AD4F-F8364EB1071C.jpeg

Edited by CallMeJus

Is it possible that what disintegrated was never actually “rock” but merely compressed sand or other junk that has now “rehydrated” and finally broken up?

1 hour ago, bues0022 said:

Is it possible that what disintegrated was never actually “rock” but merely compressed sand or other junk that has now “rehydrated” and finally broken up?

I doubt it because I bout the rocks “live” from the LFS, and they seemed to be in the tubs a while.

9 hours ago, ImGoingCoastal said:

What kind of rock? I'm sure parameters would be a good start.

Maybe your alkalinity is high? Using Marco style rock?

-A-a-ron

As far as I know it’s not man made rock. In regards to my parameters, something odd has been going on and in a previous post I talked about a drastic drop in Cal&Alk. I’m going to the LFS today to have them test the water just to see the difference between their results and the ones I got with my Salifert test kits.

My guess is that it was either concentrated detritus or a sponge (that died) that had filled that space. Just blow the opening clear with a turkey baster to clear out any remaining gunk.