DRASTIC Cal/Alk drop.

CallMeJus

Hey everyone, I’ve got a 60Gal Mixed Reef that’s about 3 months old. I’ve been doing water changes about every two weeks while the tank is getting established. I have been dosing Seachem Reef Builder Alk, and both Reef Advantage Cal & Mag per the ‘beginner’ directions. Recently started dosing Purple Up at 2/3 capfull a day for the past week. 

Last tested my Cal & Alk using Salifert kits last Sunday. I’ve been testing weekly and the parameters have been in the vicinity of 490 and 9.8 respectively. I know it’s a major no-no, but I do not currently have a Mag test kit even though I’m dosing it. (I will be purchasing one this weekend)

Yesterday I added a 2 inch Derasa Clam and decided to check my parameters today just because. My Alk read 1.2 and Cal 100, I did the test twice for verification with no major change. 

Can any any of the more seasoned Reefers throw some ideas my way and let me know how I could rectify this? Thanks. 

- Justin

Check salinity first. What test kit are you using?

Check your test instructions - amount of water to use; amount of reagent; etc. Make sure that you're executing the test correctly.

Don't be reactive to these low numbers. Let's confirm things first before acting too fast.

Both numbers are very low - much lower than reasonable but the numbers are somewhat more reasonable if you scale up which leads me to believe that your salinity is very, very low. Either that or you're testing incorrectly. I don't yet believe that you've got abiotic precipitation of calcium carbonate (which would happen if you had very low Mg numbers). There's not a good reason to believe that just yet - especially if you're dosing stuff that includes magnesium.

The clam might have taken up a lot, but I can't believe it would remove it all. (Alk of 1.2 meq/liter = 3.4 dKH which would be very little buffering (likely would have wide pH swings). So let's check some of the obvious stuff first.

Next, read up on Purple Up. I don't really believe in it.

It may have been early to add a clam. But that's just my opinion. It sounds like the system is still immature and they're one of those creatures where mature husbandry practices and an established, well running tank are important. Now that you have it, though, let's work on addressing the test measurements.

Origami, thanks for the quick reply!

just checked my Salinity with the Refractometer and it’s around 1.026 (almost looks like 1.027) I also double checked the accuracy with my calibration solution. 

Just FYI my RBTA is open and looks to be in great shape. Also, every fish is active and healthy, and the corals are all open. Even my Pom-poms are “Pom-Poming” haha

That’s really low in a short period and without a heavy coral load. Something seems wrong on the tests. Many of the LFS will test water for you, see what result they have to compare. Also, I would increase testing frequency. I test on a daily basis starting until my paras are stable. After one to two times a week. Too many variables when following the suggested dosing amount. It should be a start point and continually adjusted.

Providing no other adverse signs are observed, I would definitely say the issues lie in the testing.  Make sure you are using the correct reagents for the correct tests.  If possible double check results with another kit.

Edited by DFR

Justin, do you have the ability to mix up an extra gallon of saltwater to the proper concentration (salinity) there? Do me a favor and mix a new batch up (using RO/DI preferably) and measure the calcium and alkalinity of the freshly mixed batch. Report your numbers back. 

If you don't have a reefer right near you, Quantum Reefs is up in Springfield and could probably run a few tests on a sample of your tank water. 

Hey everyone, I’m going to head to the store tomorrow and have them text my water. I do not have the capability of mixing my own water at home. I usually just buy premixed salt water from my LFS