Phytoplankton culture

A.ocellaris

Hey guys!

So I started culturing Pods and I've been using PhytoFeast, which will become very expensive in the long run. I would like to know where I can buy a live culture and fertilizer to start my own culturing. I plan to use soda bottles, airstone, and a small lamp to start.

Have you considered using a phytoplankton paste instead of starting another culture? A long while back, dbartco used to raise rotifers and did so (ultimately) using paste which simplified things quite a bit for him. One source is Reed Mariculture (one of our sponsors) and their "Instant Algae" products.

Have you considered using a phytoplankton paste instead of starting another culture? A long while back, dbartco used to raise rotifers and did so (ultimately) using paste which simplified things quite a bit for him. One source is Reed Mariculture (one of our sponsors) and their "Instant Algae" products.

This is great ... Thanks! Have you tried this product? I am looking at the Tetraselmis 3600.

This is great ... Thanks! Have you tried this product? I am looking at the Tetraselmis 3600.

No, I've not tried it myself. However, dbartco (Doug Arthur) is a friend of mine and former WAMAS President (who served in that position before me) - He has, when raising rotifers for his clownfish breeding operation some years ago. And, secondly, I trust this particular company (Reef Nutrition) and their products (they serve a large commercial market in addition to hobbyists). There may be competing products that are as good, but that's a matter that I'll leave to others to research.

I recall him talking about two different types: Nannochloropsis and Isochrysis varieties. You can learn a little about both from a PDF on the Reed Mariculture site. I just noticed that you can get either of these also at Brine Shrimp Direct, too, and in smaller batches. Since he was running small batches, I think that he may have frozen small cubes of the algae, thawing only what he needed to keep a small amount at the ready in the refrigerator. Again, this is all just from memory. Doug wrote a little something about his experience here in the forum a number of years back as I recall. Of course, he and I could have just been talking, too....

• 4 weeks later...