Bulkhead plug advice

Newbie012000

(edited)

Good evening. I’m planning to plug the drain holes in the bottom of my tank with bulkhead plugs

When I screwed the plugs in to see how they fit, I notice they will only screw in about half way the size of the entire plug

Should this be the case? Or should it screw all the way in until it’s flush. I did not attempt to force them in. I have learned a long time ago not to force things.

Edited by Newbie012000

I’d use a slip fit and glue it in place. If you want the ability to switch to using the bulk head again, you can glue a stub with a Union and cap the other side, so that when you want to use it, you can just replace half the Union

I believe it's a tapered thread. You'll usually run into resistance about halfway down as thread interference (which makes for a better seal) becomes evident. Some thread compound or teflon tape usually helps to ensure a good seal.

Sent from my tablet using Tapatalk

I would not use those black ABS bulkheads for anything important. No way would I use them in the bottom of the tank as a plug. They break too easily from overtightening, from bumping into a pipe, or just breaking on their own. 

Use a slip-slip schedule 80 bulkhead, and glue plugs into both ends. Seriously. This is the bottom of your tank you're talking about. 

I would not use those black ABS bulkheads for anything important. No way would I use them in the bottom of the tank as a plug. They break too easily from overtightening, from bumping into a pipe, or just breaking on their own. 

Use a slip-slip schedule 80 bulkhead, and glue plugs into both ends. Seriously. This is the bottom of your tank you're talking about. 

This approach would definitely work and be stronger. For the past 8 years, I've had an ABS bulkhead and threaded plug blocking the underside of an extra overflow drain that I had put in my frag tank. I've meant to put in a second drain back then but never got around to it. Bulkheads are cheap. So, while the ABS one could do the job, pay for the extra peace of mind of using a stronger one or maybe a glued plug. Just be mindful of the fact that, if you do go with a schedule 80 bulkhead, they require larger holes (generally speaking) than their lighter ABS counterparts. So take good measurements and see what might do the job for you.